levelling solid floor covered in vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to level an existing concrete floor which is covered with vinyl tiles. The floor slopes and undulates which means that the thickness of the leveller will need to vary from almost nothing to about ¾ of an inch in places.

First question is should try and level on top of the vinyl tiles or remove them? They seem well stuck down and even if I made the effort to chip them off, the adhesive underneath is impossible to get off (and I’m not even sure if this would provide a better surface to try and get the leveller to bond to?)

Secondly, what to use? Self levellers only seem to be suitable up to about 5 mm and normal cement screeds seem to be recommended to be laid at least a couple of inches thick so I’m caught between the two.

I intend to lay some sort of wood / laminate on the floor in question. Perhaps I a barking up the wrong tree all together and some sort of underlay or matting would be a simpler solution?

Tips from anybody who has come across a similar problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks gcol, that looks just the ticket. Do you know if this stuff or similar can be bought at major diy outlets or only available via the website you gave the link for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back