Can someone please help identify this grub screw type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I’m looking to replace a failed hex grub screw and thought I’d bought a replacement. However the threads are different. Could someone let me know what type this is so that I can find online.

correct one on right.
B7C355A2-8216-4CFC-B64C-43C3C04C177B.png

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Without any dimensions to reference to its gonna be hard.

I'll try 1/4" whitworth :)

Thanks very much guys, I will track one down. Appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
It is a coarse thread in the picture so could well be a whitworth thread, a clue to what it fits and age might help.

This is what I purchased that was incorrect...

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 18.16.22.png

might be a UNC, since your original thread is quite clearly coarser.

BSW is almost exactly the same as UNC (except in 1/2"), but not quite, so is not a precision fit.

The "F" in UNF stands for "fine" (introduced for steel parts) and UNC is Coarse (intended for iron parts, like BSW) but also used into alloy castings.

So 1/4" Whit or UNC will have a coarser thread, if that's what you need.

knowing what device it fits, and what country it is made in, and when, would have given good leads.

UNF and UNC if American, since about 1949, and still being used in a few primitive countries that resist SI units.

Whitworth was introduced in UK in 1841

Now mostly superceded by Metric in UK

I think I can see about 5 threads on your 1/4" long old screw, so it is probably 20tpi, or maybe 24tpi if one has been chamfered off.

1/4" BSW has 20tpi, so try that (or UNC, if it was made in USA since 1949, or in a country trading with the American market).

There are 24tpi on 7⁄32" BSW which I think is probably not the one.

There are some very strange anomalies, for example old Morris cars used metric threads but the bolts had imperial heads, since the engines were made by Hotchkiss but the Morris factory had Whitworth spanners.

Wow what a wealth of knowledge. Many thanks for the detail. Appreciated! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back