Can someone please tell me what these are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Just wondering if someone could tell me what these are? They're every 3-4 bricks along just above the damp course and above every window on our property. I'm asking because I've seen a few wasps buzzing in and out of them so I'm wondering if Its safe for my to partially block them?

IMG_20140515_180502-L.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably some sort of weep hole for letting condensation out of your cavity so not best to block them up really

Aye definitely weep holes, theoretically any rain penetration that gets through the outer skin of brick will then drip down the inside face of the outer skin and then will find its way out through the weep holes. I guess you could somehow fit a gauze over them but really they shouldn't be blocked. Or address the wasp problem.

WEEPHOLES_weeprytwbf.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies :) Found out they're actually mason bee's not wasps (do'h). We don't really have a problem as such, seems to be the same couple of bee's wandering from one hole to the next maybe searching for somewhere to nest. I just wanted to prevent any possible problems.

I'll have a look see if I can find a sensible way to gauze them up for the summer at least without blocking them off.

I was doing some work in my garden last week digging some footings and noticed a lot of bees about. I thought i may have dug up a nest or something but couldn't find anything obvious. Later on i was watching the local news and there was a report about lots of bees around and apparently they were searching for water after a dry spell. The programme suggested putting down a saucer with a small amount of water in it, so i did ad they were straight into it. They could have been attracted by the moisture in the weep holes as they were to the damp clay in my footings. It's since rained and they have all gone now.

A small ball of wire wool will prevent insects crawling in and allow water/air to flow feely. No need to ram it in hard, just gently push in slightly beyond the end so its out of sight.

I was doing some work in my garden last week digging some footings and noticed a lot of bees about. I thought i may have dug up a nest or something but couldn't find anything obvious. Later on i was watching the local news and there was a report about lots of bees around and apparently they were searching for water after a dry spell. The programme suggested putting down a saucer with a small amount of water in it, so i did ad they were straight into it. They could have been attracted by the moisture in the weep holes as they were to the damp clay in my footings. It's since rained and they have all gone now.

A good idea in dry spells, putting a "bee stick" in helps them too, a bit of wood with one end in the water and one on the rim. They can then land safely on the stick and suck up moisture from it without danger of falling in the water and drowning :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back