help identifying these pleease.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on the course of brick just below the damp proof course are litttle white plastic things that sit vertically between the bricks, about every 5 bricks across.
anybody know what they're called and more to the point what they do please
thanks

Sponsored Links
They sound like weepholes, usually on timber framed houses. Dual purpose of drainage and ventilation.

dpc injection plugs?
430.jpg

not them plugs, are the depth of a brick. weepholes might be them, house is brick. what water are they designed to let out?

Sponsored Links
Water can penetrate the external skin of a wall and run down the inside.
The weepholes at DPC level allow this water to run out when it reaches the bottom. They are especially important on timber framed buildings although they were originally designed for masonry cavity walls.
You also find them above frames or anywhere where there is a tray.
On timber frames you sometimes find them under window cills or just beneath the eaves for ventilation.

We used to have to put these every 2 bricks, all in the first course.

Over lintels or anywhere where there is a damp tray. Even had to turn the damp tray up at the end so if water did find it's way in, it wouldn't get away. Rubbish really.

The ultimate question is, has anyone ever seen any water coming out if one?

I've never seen water coming out of them, but then I've never looked at them in the rain. However I have seen the salt stains below them on some, especially at floor level on timber framed flats, so some must be working.

If you look at the rytons website you will see loads of weep vents and your sure to see one that looks like yours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back