Can someone please type the whole of the regs book out?

Which reminds me...

Can anyone tell under whose direction BS7671 is published, which edition the current one replaces, who holds the copyright, and in whom is the technical authority for it vested?

(That should get the first paragraph done.)

Actually it would be quicker just to type it out. :confused:

Sponsored Links
This British Standard is published under the direction of the British Electrotechnical Committee (BEC) and
The Institution of Engineering and Technology (lET).
Following a full review, this Standard replaced the 16th Edition of the lEE Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2001 as
amended. Copyright is held jointly by The lET and BSI.
Technical authority for this Standard is vested in the Joint lET/BSI Technical Committee JPELl64. This Joint
Technical Committee. which is responsible for the work previously undertaken by the TEE Wiring Regulations
Committee and the BSI Technical Committee PEL/64, meets the constitutional and operational requirements of
both parent bodies. JPELl64 has the responsibility for the content of this British Standard under the joint
authority of the lET and the BSI Standards Board.
All references in this text to the Wiring Regulations or the Regulation(s), where not otherwise specifically
identified, shall be taken to refer to BS 7671 :2008 Requirements for Electrical Installations.

No typing required ;)

It's funny, FineReader had the same problem recognising capital I's as Acrobat (e.g. lEC).

I believe coyright law allow 'fair quotaion'. Something around 10% of the work. Don't know what happens if a lot of different people on a firum quote different bits, though.

I believe coyright law allow 'fair quotaion'. Something around 10% of the work. Don't know what happens if a lot of different people on a firum quote different bits, though.

I do, I join them all together and Hey Presto. I go to jail for copyright theft :p

Sponsored Links
I have come up with an idea - I will thank anyone who types a bit of the book out. If loads of people join me in doing this all the thank this many times junkies won't be able to resist typing the whole lo out :D

bit's I've already done..

311 MAXIMUM DEMAND AND DIVERSITY

311.1 For economic and reliable design, the maximum demand of an installation shall be assessed. In determining the maximum demand of an installation or part thereof, diversity may be taken into account.

------------------------------------------

411.3.3 Additional protection

In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for:

(i) socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use, and
(ii) mobile equipment with a current rating not exceeding 32A for use outdoors.

An exception to (i) is permitted for:
(a) socket-outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons, e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations, or
(b) a specific labeled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlet provided for connection of a particular item of equipment.

412 PROTECTIVE MEASURE: DOUBLE OR REINFORCED INSULATION.

412.1.3 Where this protective measure is to be used as the sole protective measure ( i.e. where a whole installation or circuit is intended to consist entirely of equipment with double insulation or reinforced insulation ), it shall be verified that the installation or circuit concerned will be under the effective supervision in normal use so that no change is made that would impair the effectiveness of the protective measure. This protective measure shall not therefore be applied to any circuit that includes a socket-outlet, luminaire supporting coupler (LSC), device for connecting a luminaire (DCL) or cable coupler, or where a user may change items of equipment without authorization.

433.1.1 The operating characteristics of a device protecting a conductor against overload shall satisfy the following conditions:

(i) The rated current or current setting of the protective device (In) is not less than the design current (Ib) of the circuit, and

(ii) the rated current or current setting of the protective device (In) does not exceed the lowest of the current carrying capacities (Iz) of any of the conductors of the circuit, and

(iii) the current (I2) causing effective operation of the protective device does not exceed 1.45 times the lowest of the current carrying capacities (Iz) of any of the conductors of the circuit.

---------------------------------------

433.2.2 The device protecting a conductor against overload may be installed along the run of that conductor in the part of the run between the point where a change occurs ( in cross-sectional area, method of installation, type of cable or conductor, or in environmental conditions ) and the position of the protective device has neither branch circuits nor outlets for connection of current-using equipment and fulfills at least one of the following conditions:

(i) It is protected against fault current in accordance with the requirements stated in Section 434
(ii) It's length does not exceed 3 m, it is installed in such a manner as to reduce the risk of fault to a minimum, and it is installed in such a manner as to reduce to a minimum the risk of fire or danger to persons ( see also Regulation 434.2.1 )

521.1 The installation method of a wiring system in relation to the type of conductor or cable used shall be in accordance with Table 4A1 of Appendix 4, provided the external influences are taken into account according to Section 522.

522.3.1 A wiring system shall be selected and erected so that no damage is caused by condensation or ingress of water during installation, use and maintainance. The completed wiring system shall comply with the IP degree of protection relevant to the particular location.

NOTE: Special considerations apply to wiring systems liable to frequent splashing, immersion or submersion.

528.3.3 Where an electrical service is to be located in close proximity to one or more non-electrical services it shall be so arranged that any forseeable operation carried out on the other services will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse.
NOTE: This may be achieved by:
(i) suitable spacing between the services, or
(ii) the use of mechanical or thermal shielding

537.2.3.4 A device for switching off for mechanical maintainance shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.

----------------------------------------

553.1.2 Except for SELV or a special circuit from Regulation 553.1.5, every plug and socket-outlet shall be of the non-reversible type, with provision for the connection of a protective conductor.

553.1.4 Every socket-outlet for household and similar use shall be of the shuttered type and, for a.c. installation, shall preferably be of a type complying with BS 1363.

553.1.5 A plug and socket-outlet not complying with BS 1363, BS 546, BS 196 or BS EN 60309-2, may be used in single-phase a.c. or two-wire d.c. circuits operating at a nominal voltage not exceeding 250 volts for:

( i ) the connection of an electric clock, provided that the plug and socket-outlet are designed specifically for that purpose, and that each plug incorporates a fuse of rating not exceeding 3 amperes complying with BS 646 or BS 1362 as appropriate

( ii ) the connection of an electric shaver, provided that the socket-outlet is either incorporated in a shaver supply unit complying with BS EN 61558-2-5 or, in a room other than a bathroom, is a type complying with BS 4573

( iii ) a circuit having special characteristics such that danger would otherwise arise or it is necessary to distinguish the function of that circuit.

-------------------------------------------

559.6.1.1 Connection to the fixed wiring

At each fixed lighting point one of the following shall be used:
(i) A ceiling rose to BS 67
(ii) A luminaire supporting coupler to BS 6972 or BS 7001
(iii) A batten lampholder or a pendant set to BS EN 60598
(iv) A luminaire to BS 60598
(v) A suitable socket-outlet to BS 1363-2, BS 546 or BS EN 60309-2
(vi) A plug-in lighting distribution unit to BS 5733
(vii) A connection unit to BS 1363-4
(viii) Appropriate terminals enclosed in a box complying with the relevant part of BS EN 60670 series or BS 4662
(ix) A device for connecting a luminaire ( DCL ) outlet according to IEC 61995-1.
NOTE: In suspended ceilings one plug-in lighting distribution unit may be used for a number of luminaires.

559.6.2.3 Groups of luminaires divided between the three line conductors of a three-phase system with only one common neutral conductor shall be provided with at least one device that simultaneously disconnects all line conductors.

I believe I am able to quote a small part of the wiring regulations for critical purposes under british copyright law. Here is an example of just how turgid the regulations can be, yet, indeed, so succinct.
PART 1

SCOPE, OBJECT AND FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES
CHAPTER 11 SCOPE
110.1 GENERAL
The Regulations apply to the design, erection and verification of electrical installations such as those of:
(i) residential premises
(ii) commercial premises
(iii) public premises
(iv) industrial premises
(v) agricultural and horticultural premises
(vi) prefabricated buildings
(vii) caravans, caravan parks and similar sites
(viii) construction sites, exhibitions, shows, fairgrounds and other installations for temporary purposes including professional stage and broadcast applications
(ix) marinas
(x) external lighting and similar installations
(xi) mobile or transportable units
(xii) photovoltaic systems
(xiii) low voltage generating sets
(xiv) highway equipment and street furniture.
NOTE: ''Premises'" covers the land and all facilities including buildings belonging to it.
The Regulations include requirements for:
(xv) circuits supplied at nominal voltages up to and including 1000 V a.c. or 1500 V d.c. For a.c, the preferred frequencies which are taken into account in this Standard are 50 Hz, 60 Hz and 400 Hz. The use of other frequencies for special purposes is not excluded
(xvi) circuits, other than the internal wiring of equipment, operating at voltages exceeding 1000 V and derived from an installation having a voltage not exceeding 1000 V a.c., e.g. discharge lighting, electrostatic precipitators
(xvii) wiring systems and cables not specifically covered by the standards for appliances
(xviii) all consumer installations external to buildings
(xix) fixed wiring for information and communication technology, signalling, control and the like (excluding internal wiring of equipment)
(xx) additions and alterations to installations and also parts of the existing installation affected by an addition or
alteration.
The Regulations are intended to be applied to electrical installations generally but, in certain cases, they may need to be supplemented by the requirements or recommendations of other British Standards or by the requirements of
the person ordering the work
Such cases include the following:
(xxi) Electric signs and high voltage luminous discharge tube installations - BS 559 and BS EN 50107
(xxii) Emergency lighting - BS 5266
(xxiii) Electrical equipment for explosive gas atmospheres - BS EN 600~9
(xxiv) Electrical equipment for use in the presence of combustible dust - BS EN 50281 and BS EN 61241
(xxv) Fire detection and alarm systems in buildings - BS 5839
(xxvi) Telecommunications systems - BS 6701
(xxvii) Electric surface heating systems - BS 6351
(xxviii) Electrical installations for open-casi mines and quarries - BS 690".
(xxix) Design and installation of temporary distribution systems delivering a.c. electrical supplies for lighting, technical services and other entertainment related purposes - BS 7909.
110.2 EXCLUSIONS FROM SCOPE
The Regulations do not apply to the following installations:
(i) Systems for the distribution of electricity to the public
(ii) Railway traction equipment, rolling stock and signalling equipment
(iii) Equipment of motor vehicles, except those to which the requirements of the Regulations concerning
caravans or mobile units are applicable
(iv) Equipment on board ships covered by BS 8450
(v) Equipment of mobile and fixed offshore installations
(vi) Equipment of aircraft
(vii) Those aspects of mines and quarries specifically covered by Statutory Regulations
(viii) Radio interference suppression equipment, except so far as it affects safety of the electrical installation
(ix) Lightning protection systems for buildings and structures covered by BS EN 62305
(x) Those aspects of lift installations covered by relevant parts of BS 5655 and BS EN 8I-1
(xi) Electrical equipment of machines covered by BS EN 60204.
111 Not used
112 Not used
113 EQUIPMENT
113.1 The Regulations apply to items of electrical equipment only so far as selection and application of the
equipment in the installation are concerned. The Regulations do not deal with requirements for the construction of assemblies of electrical equipment, which are required to comply with appropriate standards.

114 RELATIONSHIP WITH STATUTORY REGULATIONS
114.1 The Regulations are non-statutory. They may, however, be used in a court of law in evidence to
claim compliance with a statutory requirement. The relevant statutory provisions are listed in Appendix 2 and include Acts of Parliament and Regulations made thereunder. In some cases statutory Regulations may be accompanied by Codes of Practice approved under Section 16 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. The legal status of these Codes is explained in Section 17 of the 1974 Act.
For a supply given in accordance with the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002, it shall be deemed that the connection with Earth of the neutral of the supply is permanent. Outside England, Scotland and Wales, confirmation shall be sought from the distributor that the supply conforms to requirements corresponding to those of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002. in this respect. Where the ESQCR do not apply, equipment for isolation and switching shall be selected accordingly as specified in Chapter 53.

115 INSTALLATIONS IN PREMISES SUBJECT TO LICENSING
115.1 For installations in premises over which a licensing or other authority exercises a statutory control,
the requirements of that authority shall be ascertained and complied with in the design and execution of the installation.

A very popular reference:

522.6.6 A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from a surface of the wall or
partition shall:

(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a
protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS
7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or

(ii) be enclosed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386 and satisfying the requirements or these
Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085 and satisfying the requirements or
these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iv) be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and
the like, or

(v) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle
formed by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or
switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or
vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear
can be determined from the reverse side. a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or
partition of 100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side.

522.6.7 Where Regulation 522.6.6 applies and the installation is not intended to be under the supervision or
skilled or instructed person, a cable installed in accordance with Regulation 522.6.6 (v). and not complying with
Regulation 522.6.6 (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv), shall be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the
characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

and with a bit of tweaking and a good deal of cut and paste I give you regs 522.6.5 and 522.6.8 to go along with 522.6.6... :)

522.6.5 A cable installed under a floor or a bove a ceiling shall be run in such a position that it is not liable to be damaged by contact with the floor or the ceiling or their fixings. A cable passing through a joist within a floor or ceiling construction or through a ceiling support ( e.g. under floorboards ), shall:

(i) be at least 50 mm measired vertically from the top, or bottom as appropriate, of the joist or batten, or

(ii) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386 and satisfying the requirements or these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iv) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085 and satisfying the requirements or these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(v) be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like.

522.6.8 Irrespective of the depth of the cable from the surface of the wall or partition, in an installation not intended to be under the supervision or skilled or instructed person, a cable concealed in a wall or partition the internal construction of which includes metallic parts, other than metalic fixings such as nails, screws and the like, shall:

(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or

(ii) be enclosed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386 and satisfying the requirements or these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085 and satisfying the requirements or these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iv) be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like, or

(v) be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1

NOTE: If the cable is installed at a depth of 50 mm or less from the surface of a wall or partition the requirements of 522.6.6 also apply.

took a bit to put the formatting back in BS3036, but still less than typing it out myself..

I take it you two used some form of scanning software then?

No, just a copy and paste from the full pdf I have of BS7671:2008 which I purchased from eBay.
I find it invaluable as you can search for a particular word from the whole of the document.

And before any particular members with a much higher moral standing than myself start preaching to me about the wrongs of having a pdf of a document under copyright then consider that I have actually purchased a hard copy of BS7671:2008 so I feel no guilt! :evil:

I have a hard copy and a scanned copy which I found on the web (not searchable and therefore next to useless with a hard copy) are you saying you have a searchable .pdf? Could you point me in the right direction to get this?

I completely agree that if you have bought a copy there's no issue with copyright and that a searchable file would be great.

I think that every copy of the regs should come with a cd in the back cover with a copy of the digital version on it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back