Can someone please give me some advise

Sponsored Links
pdenni said:
I find it frustrating that the powers that be cant put part p info in aformat that cannot be misconstrude and everybody knows what they can or cant do.

Part P, in its entirety:

"Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation from fire or injury."

Entirely reasonable, you must agree? There is nothing complicated about Part P.

Anybody can carry out work, provided they submit a building notice if the work is notifiable.

It is that simple.

Should you wish to circumvent the building notice routine you may want to enrol on one of the 'competent persons scheme'. Such schemes have the power to set their requirements above the required minimum level. You have a choice as to who you enrol with, so you should ask them all what they want before you cough up your fees.

The only people who make the process complicated are the legions of supposedly qualified electricians who believe they have suddenly been made incompetent and have spread ridiculous conjecture and downright lies, rather than bother to find out what is actually involved.

Objecting to 'Part P' is a waste of time. How can you object to a single sentence that requires you not to hurt people through your own incompetence? Anybody objecting to 'Part P' per-se is simply demonstrating ignorance of what Part P actually is.

partpdoctor said:
oh dear, was the conversation with our mutual contact favourable or not?

Oh, Bravo-Zulus all round - well played, sir!

(Although I may well be sending you a list for consideration for the next imprint! ;) )

dingbat said:
partpdoctor said:
oh dear, was the conversation with our mutual contact favourable or not?

Oh, Bravo-Zulus all round - well played, sir!

(Although I may well be sending you a list for consideration for the next imprint! ;) )

thank you dingbat, it has been a long road :eek:
that said, i have not had any slagging comments, except on screwfix, where it has been discussed previously, and that was before anyone seen it!

going to your previous post it is bad they watered it down by removing the p2 bit IMHO, as you clearly state compliance is not difficult if people were doing the job the way they should be :(

Sponsored Links
oh and by the way,
any suggestions for improvement would be welcomed, i have had a couple of examples already where i perhaps could have explained things a tad better :oops:

partpdoctor said:
oh and by the way,
any suggestions for improvement would be welcomed, i have had a couple of examples already where i perhaps could have explained things a tad better :oops:

Au contraire, I've already plagiarised a few bits of Part 3 (numbers changed to protect the innocent) to help with day one of the DISQ... even though it's all about to change! We were talking of a pre-DISQ course for the overly-optimistic and now I'm tasked with coming up with a 'maths for drinkers' course!

thats cool...
the whole book is based along the DISQ course, albeit with a flavour of real life so to speak...i am pleased you as a fellow teacher approve :D

as to part p, and non-notification, i cannot divulge my info but something is on the way, - watch this space

dingbat said:
How can you object to a single sentence that requires you not to hurt people through your own incompetence?
I don't, what i object too is the huge ammount of stuff they have made notifiable. They have essentially made it so that (assuming you want to stay legal) for minor works in certain parts of the house you have to get a pro who is a scheme member in because for such small jobs the building control fees are huge relative to the cost of the job.

I also object to the hugely incompetant way many local authority building control departments have handled part P making the notifying building control approach an even more painfull option.

Hi Dingbat ? Can you pls offer any advice with ref to my earlier post in the discussion?

'Hallo. After readin this post im a bit confused and would really appreciate some help. I work in telecoms at the mo , i cant c myself doin it all my life im 27 i have a lot of interest in electrics. I have a bit of knowledge gained of short courses etc but i plan to do gain some q's. I have just completed my hnc in electric and electronic eng. Im not in the position to give up work to train full time i planned to do the c and g home study and practical sessions in 3 day blocks through a company called olci . Im thinkin in the event of redundancy i will be qualified in a trade . Is the c g 2330 the best route for me. Cheers ste'

Cheers

Ste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back