Can switch for shower be in airing cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new electric shower is going on a wall shared with the airing cupboard.

Can I put the double pole isolating switch (with mechanical on/off indication) inside the airing cupboard, but quite prominent close to the door etc. or must it be in the bathroom on a pull switch or on the wall just outside bathroom?

Thanks in anticipation.
Amy

Sponsored Links
One thing to consider when locating the isolator is would you mind having to run naked round to the airing cupboard if the shower started smoking while you were in the shower.

A good reason for having a pull cord in the shower room.

It is a very good idea to have an isolating switch for a shower positioned near the shower.

AFAIK, there is no regulation that says you must have one.

Thanks for the responses.
Actually its a small bathroom and the alternative placings are all within a small step of each other.
There are some benefits I can see to being outside the bathroom shortly after the shower starts to smoke, clothed or not.
The airing cupboard door is right next to the bathroom and it would take no more than 2 seconds more to operate the pull switch inside the cupboard than in the bathroom.
As long as its within regulations and not unsafe I am content to place it inside the cupboard door.
Amy

Sponsored Links
Points could be argued to the nth degree, in reality nobodys going to "fail" it. Millions of showers are controlled by switches outside the bathroom (just like extractors, heaters etc) and a good number of these unsightly boxes live in handily placed airing cupboards. Technically it's a service/maintenance isolator and not an emergency stop button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back