Shower RCD location.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw an electric shower with an isolation switch inside an airing cupboard WITHIN the bathroom.

I advised the owner that the installation did not meet current regs and that an RCD was now required to be fitted.

Do most electricians consider an RCD within the airing cupboard is or is not acceptable in this situation?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Although it is recommended, an RCD is not currently a requirement of the IEE regs for an electric shower. An RCD is only mandatory if the manufacturer specifies it.
The switch can be installed in zone 3 providing it is suitable for the conditions of the zone.

Agile said:
I saw an electric shower with an isolation switch inside an airing cupboard WITHIN the bathroom.

I advised the owner that the installation did not meet current regs and that an RCD was now required to be fitted.
Which "regs" are you reading?

Do most electricians consider an RCD within the airing cupboard is or is not acceptable in this situation?
Why is your decision about the RCD position opinion-based, when it should be regulation- and safety-based?

Sponsored Links
RCDs are not actually technically required for shower circuits but very good practice anyway and it often violates manufacturers instructions to fit without one (if you fit something without following the manufactures instructions you almost certainly invalidate the guarantee and you are the person who's arse will be on the line if and when it comes to a negligance case).

As for putting the RCD in the airing cupboard in place of the existing isolator i don't see a problem. CU style RCDs (which is what you will be using at shower level ratings) are designed to act as isolating switches. Just make sure its clearly labeled and located in a way that is ok with regards to bathroom zoning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back