Shower Isolator Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the isolator for a power shower have to be in a bathroom using a pull cord or can it be located outside of the bathroom?

Opposite the bathroom is a walk in cupboard where the meter & consumer unit are located. I want to fit a 40A RCD protected shower consumer unit in here.

I was wondering if i can also fit the isolation switch here too?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
mom's is in the airing cupboard that opens onto the bathroom..

I think that it has to be within sight of the shower so that no one can turn it on without you noticing while you're working on the shower ( should be off at CU anyway )

It can be outside the bathroom door, or as the OP states, in an adjacent cupboard, better than than flimsy cord pulls which break after a couple of years of use!

Why not, as I have done, put a DP 100amp isolator switch in a small din-rail box in the adjacent cupboard and use that as an isolator? - They have positive contact indication, and a facility to attach a padlocking clamp to lock them off (they were designed for consumer unit mainswitches!).

They have generous terminals, better than those piddly little terminals in the pullcord switches, making it far easier to get that 10mm cable in! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
An idea

You are in the shower, hot, wet, covered in shampoo foam and naked.

The shower starts smoking and spluttering sparks.

Will you be happy to dive out of the shower dripping wet and with wet hands find and switch off the isolator. Assuming you can remember which of the switches in the cupboard is the one for the shower.

Does the isolator for a power shower have to be in a bathroom using a pull cord or can it be located outside of the bathroom?
A "Power Shower" has a pump normally rated somewhere between 200 to 500 watts (less than 3A) and is usually wired to a 13A FCU fitted with a suitable fuse.

I want to fit a 40A RCD protected shower consumer unit.
40A!!! :eek: Are you sure? That sort of rating is more suited to an instantaneous electric shower.

Assumption appears to be that the OP is taking about an electrically heated water shower unit.

( should be off at CU anyway )

Should be locked off! Or, if a DIY'er does not have a lock-off device, the circuit can be isolated by disconnecting the conductor from the MCB (for TN systems) or disconnecting both L & N (in the case of TT supplies).

A good way to isolate the circuit on a PME system, is to move the phase conductor off the top of the breaker, and park it in the earthing bar in the CU - this makes it ready for the R1 and R2 earth test procedure, when testing is completed, the phase core can be replaced in the breaker for comissioning. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Kai, what if a simultaneuos earth fault occured on a non rcd protected circuit and you were busy stripping the insulation off the end of the shower line conductor.

What if that fault occurs when you have locked off the MCB as normal but are touching the bare cpc of the shower cable??

What if that fault occurred when you were touching an earthed water pipe or a radiator or a cooker casing?

Kai, what if a simultaneuos earth fault occured on a non rcd protected circuit and you were busy stripping the insulation off the end of the shower line conductor.

Surely the consumer unit would be isolated before removal of its cover?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back