No Isolator

D

DIYDANDY

My neighbour has just been showing me his new shower. Looks great, but I did notice that there is no way of isolating the power to the shower other than switching off the MCB at the consumer unit.

Should it not have an isolator in the room (pull cord) or just outside of the room, switch?

Sponsored Links
ah the million dollar question..

what exactly do you think that the isolator is for? ( no, seriously, we experts can't decide between us either.. )..

it might not be in plain sight, my mothers is in the airing cupboard that opens onto the bathroom, others in the street have it in the airing cupboard that opens onto the hall outside the bathroom etc..

ah the million dollar question..

what exactly do you think that the isolator is for? ( no, seriously, we experts can't decide between us either.. )..

it might not be in plain sight, my mothers is in the airing cupboard that opens onto the bathroom, others in the street have it in the airing cupboard that opens onto the hall outside the bathroom etc..

You really are on one tonight CJ, picking me up for a spelling mistake (in GD) and now for asking a question.

There is no isolation switch, one was not fitted, it does not exist and the shower was fitten and wired by a plumber.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't pulling you up for asking a question, I was generally interested what you think the isolator is for since you asked the following question..

Should it not have an isolator in the room (pull cord) or just outside of the room, switch?

if you consider it as a functional switch ( to turn the shower off after use, much like the switch on a socket ), then it should be visible and accessible, if you consider it a switch for mechanical / electrical maintainence, then it can be in a cupboard somewhere out of sight..
If you consider it as an emergency device ( is the shower catches fire ) then it needs to be IN the bathroom and easily accesible...

etc.

I was assuming also that you aren't a nosey bleeder so you might not have been rifling through their cupboards etc and I was also just pointing out that they aren't always visible, but if you've checked all the nearby cupboards etc then I believe you that there isn't one..

ther realy should be though because the shower should be on an RCD ( all circuits in the bathroom now etc.. ) and if it is then turning the breaker off still leaves the neutral connected and any N-E fault on the shower would trip the RCD.. this isn't a problem unless it's on one rcd side of a split load board where it will then take out several other circuits as well, should there happen to be a fault or you happen to touch N-E whilst changing or maintaining the shower for example

ColJack";p="1741029 said:
I wasn't pulling you up for asking a question, I was generally interested what you think the isolator is for since you asked the following question..

I did not ask what it was for, I asked if one should be present.

Its not a question of what you think, I think or anybody else thinks reg 132.15.1 states "Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger"

Yes but that reg is open to interpretation. If the main switch in the CU is 'suitably placed for ready operation' then do I really need (or want) an isolator for the freezer next to the under cabinet light switch (for example).

also, where in that reg does it state "it should be 'visible and accessible'"?

I did not ask what it was for, I asked if one should be present.
and the question I asked is the key to answering that question..

as you can see even the "experts" can't agree entirely..

If the CU is in a location where it can be locked off, then that suffices as "isolating" the shower ( as well as everything else ) for repairs etc ( if that's what we assume the switch is for.. )
if it's for other reasons then you need a local switch and so on..

if you consider it a switch for mechanical / electrical maintainence, then it can be in a cupboard somewhere out of sight.

That is totally wrong, it should be 'visible and accessible'

Its not a question of what you think, I think or anybody else thinks reg 132.15.1 states "Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger"

That regulation is in regards to a main isolation switch for the whole installation. how can installing an isolation switch designated for the shower ONLY possibaly comply with that reg?????

try reading the reg again, more so the parts in which i have highlighted to you, and then try and answer my question properly, not with an mildly related statment.

try reading the reg again, more so the parts in which i have highlighted to you, and then try and answer my question properly, not with an mildly related statment.

John, we've been here before, and believe me you are wasting your breath - holmslaw is not willing to consider any other interpretation of that particular regulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back