Shower Isolator Location

To the OP, its unclear whether you are talking about a shower that electrically heats the water or a pump that increases the flow of water.

In either case all fixed equipment must have an isolation switch adjacent the equipment.

which regulation states that ?

holmslaw said:
So if you have the former you need a pull switch within reach of the shower.

Why ?

Sponsored Links
it depends on what you consider a shower switch to be..

I consider it to be a device for switching off for mechanical maintainance..
others use it to switch the shower on and off having set the controls to their liking..

537.2.3.4 A device for switching off for mechanical maintainance shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.

it depends on what you consider a shower switch to be..

I consider it to be a device for switching off for mechanical maintainance..
others use it to switch the shower on and off having set the controls to their liking..

537.2.3.4 A device for switching off for mechanical maintainance shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.

My understanding is that mechanical maintenance refers to non electrical work being carried out by non electrically skilled persons, e.g. the cleaning of a fan or ducting. I am not aware of any common routine mechanical maintenance required for a shower that requires the removal of its cover.

Isolation is to enable electrical work to be carried out by electrically competent persons.

Although it may be good and accepted practice to have a DP shower switch I have never come accross a regulation that states one is needed, as (provided they can be locked off) the main switch in the consumer unit, or an MCB in a TN system provide perfectly adequate means of isolation for a shower in a domestic situation.

better than than flimsy cord pulls which break after a couple of years of use!
You must do unmentionable things with yours - my shower pull switch (and its cord) is still going strong after 5 years with an average of about 2 on/off cycles per day...

Sponsored Links
do you turn the shower off first? or use the pullcord to turn it off?

some people do the latter and the arcing of switching off whilst loaded lead to premature switch failure..

do you turn the shower off first? or use the pullcord to turn it off?
Always turn the shower off first, to reduce scaling inside the can (the shower flushes cold water through before going off).

some people do the latter and the arcing of switching off whilst loaded lead to premature switch failure..
True...

Although it may be good and accepted practice to have a DP shower switch I have never come accross a regulation that states one is needed, as (provided they can be locked off) the main switch in the consumer unit, or an MCB in a TN system provide perfectly adequate means of isolation for a shower in a domestic situation.

There is, indirectly though.
Many manufacturers (maybe all?) state that an isolator is required.

GaryMo said:
There is, indirectly though.
Many manufacturers (maybe all?) state that an isolator is required.

As I said, a main switch is a perfectly good isolator... :D

But you are correct - the instructions usually indicate a DP switch pull cord or otherwise after the CU....interestingly one manufacturer, mira, state the switch can be in an adjacent room...

i mistakenly thought ban was being unfair in his comment about his shower switch. I remember a few years ago he posted pictures of a contactor setup, whereby he controls his shower fan via the shower switch. I mistakenly "remembered" that his shower was also switched through the contactor, thus rendering any wear on the switch negligible, but I was reminded by another forum member that the contactor only switches the fan.

holmslaw said:
Repairing or replacing are maintenace items, thats why local isolatos should be fitted.

You don't seem to have grasped the difference of switching off for mechanical maintenance, and isolation. However, the same device may be used for both.

In BS7671 mechanical maintenance is replacement, refurbishment or cleaning of lamps and non electrical parts. Furthermore, switching off for mechanical maintenance is required where the maintenance may involve risk of physical injury. (Such as cleaning a fan which has moving parts

holmslaw said:
Local isolators are for the benefit of everyone.

Only if they are competent, otherwise they shouldn't be working on the equipment.

holmslaw said:
Although it may be good and accepted practice to have a DP shower switch I have never come accross a regulation that states one is needed,

Well you have now, also look at 132.15.1, absolutely clear to anyone who puts responsibility above profit.
132.15.1...effectice means, suitable placed. e.g. main switch in a house, locked off !

holmslaw said:
as (provided they can be locked off) the main switch in the consumer unit, or an MCB in a TN system provide perfectly adequate means of isolation for a shower in a domestic situation.

Nonsense, so when my shower packs up, you turn up switch off the main switch and I lose my central heating and all the food in the freezer is ruined.

No, you turn off at the main switch, repair or make safe the shower, and turn back on. Or you lock off the mcb. I dont see a major outage here, just an inconveience. I don't recall an inconvenience being a reason to depart from EAWR law. I don't see how a pull cord or a DP switch outside the bathroom is a safe and reliable means of isolation in this case.

Look the point I am making is there is a distinct difference between isolation and switching off for mech. maint. As stated MI state that a DP switch should be installed, however, I am questioning the purpose of such a switch. Take for example a pull cord switch which could be argued is in the supervision of the person working on the shower. While your back is turned your mate or a builder or whoever may walk in and pull it thinking its the light switch, zap ! If its a DP switch o/s the room then even worse, anyone could switch it without you knowing.

AT best a shower switch's only logical purose is as a functional switch.

you can't paraphrase a reg like that and ignore the wording of it to suit your argument..

132.15 Isolation and switching

132.15.1 Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.

so every piece of equipment requires a means of isolation, be that a plug and socket or a switch...

you turn the breaker off, take the shower off the wall, the N and E touch and the rcd trips and takes out the fridge etc..

in your example of the builder comming in, once you turn the pullcord off, you coil up the cord above head height and tie it up..

there is much more possibility that someone comes home while you've got the power off changing the shower, see's the telly is off, goes to the fuseboard and puts all the breakers back on..

I'm much happier is the means of isolation is lockable ( and a main switch isn't ) or if it's within site of me or in a room that someone has to pass me to get into

ColJack said:
you can't paraphrase a reg like that and ignore the wording of it to suit your argument..

132.15 Isolation and switching

132.15.1 Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger

so every piece of equipment requires a means of isolation, be that a plug and socket or a switch...

No ,each piece of equipment does not necessarily require its own, discrete means of isolation as the main switch could be deemed to serve all of the above if the CU were located, say, in the hallway of a one storey dwelling. I'm certainly not saying you would do this but in terms of the OP i am trying to demonstrate why a shower isolator could be located outside the room containing the shower and that it could be the main switch (unless otherwise required by th MI)

ColJack said:
I'm much happier is the means of isolation is lockable ( and a main switch isn't ) or if it's within site of me or in a room that someone has to pass me to get into

You obviously don't have a lock off kit then because I have managed to lock off plenty!

I only paraphrased 132.15.1 to demonstrate that is is to do with switching for isolation, not mech. maint. Holmslaw was trying to use the reg to argue switching for mechanical maintenance purposes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back