Electric shower isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas

I’ve told a customer to get an electrician in ad there electric shower needs local isolation as in a pull cord etc in or just outside of bathroom

Am electrician has been and said that the RCD installed by the consumer unit is all that is required.

Is this right ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Only items with motor over a set size and not part of an appliance need an isolator. What one must realise the regulations cover commercial as well as domestic and so much is left to the skill of person fitting the units, for example in my late mothers house there is a sub consumer unit next to back door in the kitchen covering whole of kitchen, so although the electrician provided a switched FCU for the hot plate, since to reach it you need to stretch across the hot plate, in real terms it's not required, one would use the RCBO in the consumer unit or switch off whole consumer unit specially as located on the exit route from the house.

So if I for example wired up 3 showers for workers to use before going home, I would be unlikely to have three separate isolators, likely the distribution board would be rather close, even if not likely one three phase isolator would be used for all three showers. The regulations have to allow for this, so they don't stipulate using an isolator.

However as said it does make common sense in many installations to have local isolation even if not required, but things do change, it was common at one time to fit isolators for washing machines away from the machine, but reasonably close so if the weights came loose and it starts to walk around the kitchen wrecking every thing it touches you can quickly and safely turn it off. However today most washing machines have an automatic switch off if unbalanced so today not really required any more.

As to isolator to make it easy to defrost freezer, it also means it can be accidental switched off, same goes for waiting for sister to get in shower, and hair die all over her hair then turning off the shower, or simply flushing the loo. No I didn't do it, but I know people who did. Isolators are not always a good thing!

I wonder how Terry's customer feels now, having been misled by him into spending money calling out an electrician.

More frequently it is the switch that starts to smoke - or at least overheats and fails.

That is true, but when it does the shower can be turned off safely by the controls on the shower which then in almost all cases of a failed switch stops the current flowing through the failed switch. When the shower goes into melt down then touching the controls may be hazardous and having a quick, easy to find and use means of isolation is sensible for the user's safety.

In a very few cases the failed switch will in itself create a path between Live and Neutral with current passing through the charred material inside the switch. Then the CU is the only way to isolate.

I sometimes wonder if Bernard would be happier with no electricity in his house - he seems permanently frightened of outlandishly rare events.

I wonder how Terry's customer feels now, having been misled by him into spending money calling out an electrician.

I'd hope that he was happy that he had the good sense to check that the electrical installation suitable for the appliance being installed.

he seems permanently frightened of outlandishly rare events.

I am in no way frightened by what you consider to be ""outlandishly rare events"". What I am aware of is the pain and sorrow that has resulted from several instances of an "outlandishly rare event" actually happening.

ban all sheds 15 Jan 2016 said:
It's a POP to design systems and equipment etc that work perfectly safely as long as nothing goes wrong. No electrical circuits or accessories or appliances would ever need an earth if nothing ever went wrong. Nor MCBs or RCDs. No car would ever need seat belts or air bags if nothing ever went wrong. Motorways would not need Armco barriers if nothing ever went wrong. Aircraft would not need integral fire suppression, or oxygen supplies if nothing ever went wrong. Ships would never need lifeboats if nothing ever went wrong.

That is true, but when it does the shower can be turned off safely by the controls on the shower which then in almost all cases of a failed switch stops the current flowing through the failed switch.
Electrical problems involving shower 'isolators' are much more common than ones involving the shower itself. A few years back, someone in my village suffered a house fire (fortunately not too serious) due to a ceiling shower 'isolator' that had seemingly been smouldering away fro ages without them having been aware of the problem.
When the shower goes into melt down then touching the controls may be hazardous .....
Have you ever heard of a shower "going into melt down" and, if so, why did an OPD or RCD not clear the fault?
... and having a quick, easy to find and use means of isolation is sensible for the user's safety.
Since there are some here who are very concerned about the use of correct terminology, I would remind you that you are talking about "emergency switching", not "isolation".

Kind Regards, John

I do agree though. I have never seen a shower "smoking". I have seen quite a few shower isolations switches that have failed due to several reasons.
There's a couple a month on this forum alone.

Have you ever heard of a shower "going into melt down" and, if so, why did an OPD or RCD not clear the fault?

Yes, and protective device on the CU did not operate before the unit was very badly damaged. Was there a cut out in the heater tank that should have operated, I cannot recall.

Another was producing scalding hot water / steam ( low water flow ) which prevented anyone getting close to the shower.

And these were not decades ago before designs were improved to make them less likely to become dangerous when something goes wrong inside the shower.

"emergency switching", not "isolation".

What ever the words, a means to turn of the power to a faulty shower is a very sensible safety device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back