Electric Shower issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day my electric shower cut out when I switched it on. Power light is off on the shower and the light on the pull cord isolation switch outside the bathroom is also off.

I checked the MCB, which hadn't tripped and also the fuse in the RCD, which is also ok. Thinking the fault must be with the isolation switch I put in a new one but still no power to the shower. I checked the voltage to the supply side of the isolation switch with a multimeter and it's only showing around 5.5V. What could the problem be?

Sponsored Links
I checked the MCB, which hadn't tripped and also the fuse in the RCD, which is also ok.
RCDs do not have fuses so what is it that you checked?

Thinking the fault must be with the isolation switch I put in a new one but still no power to the shower. I checked the voltage to the supply side of the isolation switch with a multimeter and it's only showing around 5.5V. What could the problem be?
Presumably a disconnected wire somewhere.

Is the live at the switch 230V to earth?

Thinking the fault must be with the isolation switch I put in a new one but still no power to the shower.
Randomly changing items without ascertaining they are faulty is a waste of time and money.
I checked the voltage to the supply side of the isolation switch with a multimeter and it's only showing around 5.5V. What could the problem be?
Next check the voltage at the MCB, and work backwards till you find the problem.

Sponsored Links

Either a duff MCB ,or it's not switched on ! Show us pics of the consumer unit.
What is the " fuse in the RCD" that you refer to ??

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back