Electric shower, electric issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric shower, however it suddenly turned off.
Tried moving the circuit breaker switch back to on, but there is no power going to the pull cord switch, ( the orange lamp doesnt come on)
I have removed the trip switch from the board, and checked it with a multimeter - but even when the switch is toggled to On, the multimeter shows an open circuit when checking the switch when removed from the board , Is this just a case of having to replace the trip switch??
shower switch.jpg

Sponsored Links
If there is no continuity across the terminals of the MCB when removed from the board and switched in the " ON" position ,its duff !
Why it tripped in the first place needs investigating.

It will need to be replaced, but you will have a very hard time obtaining one, as they have been obsolete for years.
No doubt dubious used parts exist on the likes of ebay but as that Wylex box has no RCD protection either, realistically it's new consumer unit time. Either one just for the shower, or for all of the circuits.

Sponsored Links
It will need to be replaced, but you will have a very hard time obtaining one, as they have been obsolete for years.
No doubt dubious used parts exist on the likes of ebay but as that Wylex box has no RCD protection either, realistically it's new consumer unit time. Either one just for the shower, or for all of the circuits.
Thanks, been looking online for a replacement - thought it would be just a case of taking the old one out and getting a new one from somewhere like B&Q .
The shower unit is a TRiton Seville rated at upto 10.5kw and has been there for about 10 years , in turn that replaced another older shower .
The fusebox in the picture is next to another older wylex fusebox made from a hard white plastic with pull out fuses - when one fuse goes you have to replace the fuse wire inside with a bit of wire of the same rating - no trip switches or any other circuit protection at the fuse box end, although i have replaced some sockets used for outdoors stuff and the washing machine/dishwasher etc with sockets that have an RCD im guessing that its late 1970's/early 1980s original from when the house was built.

i have replaced some sockets used for outdoors stuff and the washing machine/dishwasher etc with sockets that have an RCD im guessing that its late 1970's/early 1980s original from when the house was built.
Basically you have some sockets with RCDs in the sockets themselves, but the shower circuit has no RCD protecting it?
The shower MUST be RCD protected.

As @flameport says
it's new consumer unit time.

Basically you have some sockets with RCDs in the sockets themselves, but the shower circuit has no RCD protecting it?
The shower MUST be RCD protected.

As @flameport says
Thats pretty much it, the only "protection" on the shower is that trip switch , next to it is a white fusebox ( wylex) wth re wireable fuses
I'm happy to change light switches, light sockets , swap out plug sockets for USB and/or RCD sockets, and even wire in a cooker.

However i dont feel confident going near anything hard wired such as the fusebox.
Anything other than replacing like for like ie putting in some new fusewire - which is extremly rare - or swapping out the failed trip switch for a like for like model then its a no go .
The next step will be to take a look inside the shower unit to see if there is anything obvious ( with the power off and checked that its off)

No only are they NOT OBSOLETE, B&Q actually show them in stock.

However this is one of those ocassions where I agree with Flameports regular suggestions it's time to upgrade.

Update...
Tried B and Q , no luck, all i could get is " we stopped selling those a few years back"
Tried a few other places , again no luck, best i could get is a few oo- that looks old, type resposes

Ended up with a local semi retied electrician who had a replacement part to hand and all is working.
His grandson who is also an electrician with up to date qualifications, is coming back in a few months time to remove the old fusebox and fit something up to date in its place.

Update...
Tried B and Q , no luck, all i could get is " we stopped selling those a few years back"
Tried a few other places , again no luck, best i could get is a few oo- that looks old, type resposes

Ended up with a local semi retied electrician who had a replacement part to hand and all is working.
His grandson who is also an electrician with up to date qualifications, is coming back in a few months time to remove the old fusebox and fit something up to date in its place.
Thank you for the update

TLC are stockists although I suspect not normally held at all branches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back