Can the wrong dimmer blow a 12v transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SEE MY LATESTPOST AT THE END FIRST FOLKS!!!!
Hi all, perhaps below is obvious, any thoughts most welcome :)

I had a an electrician fit 4 x 12v halogen ceiling lights a year ago in one room , all bulbs still work, all had separate transformer - kit supplied and fitted by electrician including a dimmer (works but noisy) . No issues until...

About 10 weeks ago I changed the white plastic dimmer he had fitted for a brass one (oops! and as I know not to much it probably was not the right type ?? to use with the above setup - still noisy.)

Anyway all did work, no problems but about 4 weeks later one of the lights in the room kept fading off after a few seconds or few minutes or not going back on. I swapped the bulb of course for another in the same room/ the fading bulb had no issues at all in another socket. The intermittent problems persisted.

I bought a new transformer for that fitting in question, fitted, and the intermittent issue disappeared for 2 weeks. It is back again.

I have now removed the brass dimmer (assumed was the culprit) - and fitted a simple one gang switch. All worked but after a day the intermittent fault occurs. Could the problem (a) be the wrong dimmer and (b) have I trashed the new transformer by having the brass dimmer in place for the last few weeks? Any suggestions most helpful - I was starting to guess there must be a rat up eating my cables :)

Sponsored Links
Well the one the electrician fitted lasted almost 11 months with no issues, so assuming that set of items yes was good.

Also the replacement transformer - I was not sure so I took the old one and got a one with the same figures/stats on it e.g. 12v, max load values ect.

A failing transformer after c11 months followed by another after c4 weeks - are you thinking it is just bad luck and nothing to do with the dimmers? For example after light not working for c1 hour earlier - I swapped bulbs around (all are same type), and we are working again - for about 50minutes so far.

Need to know whether lamps(bulbs) are dimable, the dimmer is compatible with load and lamps, the trany is compatible with lamps, load and dimmer.
They can be underrated as well as over rated!

who's to say your electrician got it right?
or you have actually replaced with the correct equipment, need some info.

Sponsored Links
OK.

Will check tomorrow, too dark now to be standing on chairs pulling things out of the ceiling while using a mobile phone torch :)

Need information regarding the ratings on the dimmer and whether resistive or inductive.
The ratings on the tranys/drivers and whether dimable
The wattage of each lamp (bulb)

Hi, been away a few days. Interesting update - the fitting in question has been working the last few days, but a different one of the four fittings is not working now. I did just switch off the power at the mains (no affect) then repeated - took the fitting out of the ceiling, opened the transformer, closed the lid (nothing else bar looking), and switched on mains and it works again.....weird...and this from a fitting that has never been touched in over a year/worked perfectly until 3 days ago.

Again bulbs work if you move them around, a switch being used now not a dimmer, and each of the four fittings on a separate transformer/ junction box. BVelow are the stats if they help?

LAMPS = OSRAM Decostar Alu 42870wfl; 12v 50w 36

DIMMER = Again forget this, thorwn away, using normal 1 gang switch now

FITTING= Tamlight TD-L666W/ IP20/ MR16/ 12v / max 50w

TRANSFORMER = Tamlight EU-2060/ 20-60VA/ Supply current 0.26a/ Fully Dimmable

Hi

They are the ones that have been in use for a year - is that a problem here or just a mistake in my description? (removed LED from first posting)

Hi

Well after my c12.30pm post today, I switched on the room lights and they worked non stop from 2.30pm until about ten minutes ago - then the second halogen started fading then stopped.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks for thoughts - will get a few of those to try out.

What causes a lampholder to degrade?

Usually inadequate airspace behind the fittings causes the lampholder to get too hot and fail.

OK.

There is almost 2 feet between floors, no insulation within.

Hi there... an update for you all

The original electrician came round, and Sod's Law he suggested as first thing we change the bulb, which I did, for not the usual 50W GR16 ones I was using but a 20W one and it worked fine since then until yesterday.

I have today changed to again a new bulb, and a new transformer and no joy.

My guess is it was just luck it worked after his suggestion and YES it must be the final part of the cabling, from transformer to light fitting itself that is worn as suggested a few answers before on this forum. Ho Hum...off to order now and see - but as everything else was changed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back