Can this chime be powered from a 6amp breaker or a lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
Looking to purchase this: (link) . Can I feed this from a new 6amp breaker or alternatively, an existing permanent live feed from a lighting circuit?
There's obviously no electrical difference between those two alternatives. Is there something which makes you think that they wouldn't be suitable-and, if so, what other alternative did you have in mind?

Kind Regards, John

There's obviously no electrical difference between those two alternatives. Is there something which makes you think that they wouldn't be suitable-and, if so, what other alternative did you have in mind?

Kind Regards, John
To be honest with you John, I struggle with amp ratings and cable sizes. Haven’t got my head around this yet.
Thought I’d check incase it needed to be lower than 6amp and require a FCU.

To be honest with you John, I struggle with amp ratings and cable sizes. Haven’t got my head around this yet. ... Thought I’d check incase it needed to be lower than 6amp and require a FCU.
As is so often said, in theory the protective device (MCB, RCBO, fuse or whatever) is only there to protect the cables, not the connected equipment (which should have internal fuses if it is felt they are need to 'protect' it) - and you would probably struggle to find any credible cable not rated for at least 6A.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi Jupes

You say you are struggling with amp ratings and cable sizes and (with respect, judging from your posts) many other aspects of electrical work. you really must get yourself a copy of the ON SITE GUIDE. It has much of what you need.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKOSG18slash2.html
Lots of places sell this.

Re your chime. Best to use an existing circuit. Remember that a new circuit is notifiable work and you’ll need a registered electrician to do that work.

which should have internal fuses if it is felt they are need to 'protect' it)

No harm in fusing down to 1 amp just to add another layer of protection just in case there is no internal fuse.

Transformers do fail ( shorted turns ) and they can get very hot before the 6 Amp protection device finally operates.

As is so often said, in theory the protective device (MCB, RCBO, fuse or whatever) is only there to protect the cables, not the connected equipment (which should have internal fuses if it is felt they are need to 'protect' it) - and you would probably struggle to find any credible cable not rated for at least 6A.

Kind Regards, John

back to my confusion…
I thought you start at the other end? Firstly, figure out the load requirement of your appliance, etc. A chime in my case. This will then inform the circuit and cable size.
Can you clarify this for me please. Thanks

You do not need a 6 amp circuit ( that would be the case only if the device needed more than a Kilowatt of power ( air-raid sirens are about 1 Kw ).

The reason 6 amps has been mentioned is because in most homes a 6 amp circuit is the lowest rated circuit that is standard in the consumer unit.

I imagine it’s way too technical for a DIY’er like me? I think I am after a table that has things like cable, breaker size based on load?

It's it's not that simple I'm afraid, the current carrying capacity of a cable depends on how it is installed amongst other factors. The on-site guide contains all the necessary tables and much more.

You really should get yourself a copy and read it. Then I'm sure you will find help here with the inevitable questions you will have.

You also really need a basic understanding of the circuit design process.

I imagine it’s way too technical for a DIY’er like me? I think I am after a table that has things like cable, breaker size based on load?
It is not technical. It is produced by the people who write the regulations as an easy guide. It’s the place for you to get a lot of the information that you have been asking here.
I’m not having a go but (as in your profile) in 7 years and more than 3,000 posts you really, really should have picked up a few basic principles!
The ON SITE GUIDE lays the basic stuff out with lots of diagrams. It’s where apprentice electricians start.

0.5mm² flex?
That's true. However, I thought (perhaps wrongly_) that the OP was talking about 'fixed wiring', with non-flexible cable, in which case, as you know, the minimum permitted size (for cable with solid conductors) would be 1 mm².

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back