Can this garden be levelled out or would it interfere with DPC?

Sponsored Links
I've not been inside yet. If it was one particular way would that mean the air brick being buried is not concerning?

A none wood floor will not rot, but if airbricks have been installed, then obviously they have been fitted for a reason - they are not there for decoration.

A none wood floor will not rot, but if airbricks have been installed, then obviously they have been fitted for a reason - they are not there for decoration.
So if its suspended that is bad that they are buried? Because I am pretty sure it is suspended.

Sponsored Links
Then yes, it is really bad - expect floor rot in a few years. Your next door neighbour's airbricks also seem to be buried.
Does the presence of air bricks indicate it is suspended or do solid ones also have them? And if they were solid that means it would not cause a problem?

I am emailing barratt now.

Does the presence of air bricks indicate it is suspended or do solid ones also have them? And if they were solid that means it would not cause a problem?

I am emailing barratt now.

Airbricks probably mean it is suspended, but I didn't specify or fit them so I don't know what the had in mind when they did. They could simply be there to ventilate the cavity. What ever the reason, the cannot work if below the ground level - they need to be above ground, with a good flow of air.

Airbricks probably mean it is suspended, but I didn't specify or fit them so I don't know what the had in mind when they did. They could simply be there to ventilate the cavity. What ever the reason, the cannot work if below the ground level - they need to be above ground, with a good flow of air.

Thanks for your help. I'm so angry. We haven't been inside the house yet and I have spotted this and two other issues regarding other things just from looking at the front from outside.

It says on NHBC that air bricks must be either:
  • At least 75mm above ground level
  • Between ground level and 75mm above ground level if there is a slope going away from building and it is suitably drained
  • Acceptable below ground level if there is a continuous strip of lowered ground extending at least 600mm away from front of air bricks.
Not only is ours submerged below ground level but the ground slopes towards them!!

Guessing it's a Barratts build?

Go through the property thoroughly, with pen a paper to make a list, before accepting it. Some people engage a professional surveyor to carry out an inspection.

Guessing it's a Barratts build?

Go through the property thoroughly, with pen a paper to make a list, before accepting it. Some people engage a professional surveyor to carry out an inspection.
Yeah I'm getting a professional snagging survey done but Barratt refuse to allow this to take place before completion.

@Harry Bloomfield
Just emailed Barratt and asked if the flooring construction is solid or suspended. She didn't actually answer that but said that the flooring downstairs is concrete and the upstairs is timber. Does that help that the floor downstairs is concrete?

@Harry Bloomfield
Just emailed Barratt and asked if the flooring construction is solid or suspended. She didn't actually answer that but said that the flooring downstairs is concrete and the upstairs is timber. Does that help that the floor downstairs is concrete?

Well it cannot rot, but the vents are still blocked so why have the been fitted? I would also check where the DPC level is, that should be well above any soil or other obstructions.

Well it cannot rot, but the vents are still blocked so why have the been fitted? I would also check where the DPC level is, that should be well above any soil or other obstructions.

I'm wondering if they could be to ventilate the cavity walls. Because ours, and our neighbour who you pointed out has the same problem, are mid-terraced and will not have weep holes like the end terraced houses. However, I'm reading that cavity walls should not have air bricks because they are designed to be water tight and they could let moisture in. So no idea.

I've looked at other mid terrace houses the same house design as us on other Barratt developments and I can't see air bricks anywhere.

It wouldn't surprise me at this point if the air bricks have been put in by mistake.

I'd be most worried about the damp proofing detail where that funny little wall touches your house. If that corner of next doors gets water logged it's only got one place to go. It should have been built on their side and then would be below their DPC but instead it's on your side above it. Tell them to dog leg it over a bit or cut a gap between it and your house.

I'd be most worried about the damp proofing detail where that funny little wall touches your house. If that corner of next doors gets water logged it's only got one place to go. It should have been built on their side and then would be below their DPC but instead it's on your side above it. Tell them to dog leg it over a bit or cut a gap between it and your house.
Yeah I was thinking if theirs waterlogs it will start pouring over into ours. There is a slope down on theirs so the grass isn't level with the top of the wall and it would need to fill quite a bit, but still.
By cutting a gap between the wall and our house I assume this would help because it would direct any overflow into our DPC rather than above it? I guess that would mean water would easily flow into our grass from theirs even if it wasn't overflowing though? And that wall is supposed to act as a retention wall so wouldn't the soil from underneath their grass break down into our garden if the wall was cut?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back