New Build Garden Slope- DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

I moved into a new build (I know..) about 1.5 years ago and we’ve inherited a sloped garden (towards the house rather than away) in both our back and side gardens.

Because they were a bunch of cowboys, our side garden was raised even higher to accommodate a new access road to the side, so the garden was made level to the roadside. Because they’ve laid turf on top of turf, it’s higher on the house side than I’d like. This plus the slope toward the house means it could potentially lead to excess water and, therefore, damp issues in the house.

I’ve just finished digging a trench so that we can plant some shrubs and create a gap between the house and lawn, but I’m not sure if this would help or hinder the issue?

I don’t have this issue on any other wall of the house- we have a tarmac drive and the other walls have gravel for drainage.

I have added some pictures- 1 shows a drainage pipe from the back garden through to the side brick wall (fence). This was buried on both sides by turf- again, I’m not sure if this should’ve been the case?

Basically, I’m just wanting to know whether this will cause a problem with damp in the future? I don’t know where the DPC is? And the house doesn’t have any obvious air bricks..?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• C3C094D6-EA2A-4779-8074-BA14808200BD.jpeg
    C3C094D6-EA2A-4779-8074-BA14808200BD.jpeg
    716.3 KB · Views: 142
  • D57C6A2C-BBD4-4FBA-B5FA-D6EB6DCBD6E6.jpeg
    D57C6A2C-BBD4-4FBA-B5FA-D6EB6DCBD6E6.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 29DEF2DB-F557-46E6-BC5B-B966F2BE002C.jpeg
    29DEF2DB-F557-46E6-BC5B-B966F2BE002C.jpeg
    741.9 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
DPC is on top of those red bricks and you are unlikely to get any damp problem with that situation there.

Thanks.. are you sure about the DPC being that level? Seems too far up the wall compared to the floor level in the house? And is it ok if the drainage from the back garden to the side (pic 2) is buried beneath the lawn? TIA

It's a best guess without me getting on the train and having a day out!

Where is floor level in context of the red brick top course?

Drainage is fine beneath a lawn

BTW, what's this ...
1661288193011.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, appreciated- I don’t expect you to come over and have a look!

Tbf the floor level seems to be on top of the red brick level, just looked high for some reason.

That picture shows the other side of a brick wall (fence) on the side garden. The other side is our back garden. There’s a wide brown plastic pipe that runs from under the back garden lawn and this is the outlet on ther other side if that makes sense? Cheers.

Oh I see. It was the question in your OP. LOL. Doh! :rolleyes:

It's some sort of random/adhoc drain hole through the wall to let the higher land drain. It's normal

Yes it does.. that part is only our walled fence and not part of the house per se. The back of the house is where the downspout is..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back