Rendering a garden wall without DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a garden wall which in some places is two courses high, in others about 10. It's a sloping curves wall.

It's poorly built. I need to do a short term (3yr) fix to make is slightly more presentable.

There is no DPC.
The soil side is bare brick.

I've read that it cannot be rendered unless it is engineering brick, there's a DPC and soil side is black jacked/has a DPM.

BUT....I think read, that actually, as long as it's a "proper" brick it doesn't need DPC, or soil side DPM, and can be rendered?
Like here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-dpc-worthwhile-in-a-garden-wall.433399/

So here is the brick that my shoddy garden wall is built from, thoughts?

Can I render straight onto it?

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_155237638~2.jpg
    PXL_20240112_155237638~2.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240112_155116081~2.jpg
    PXL_20240112_155116081~2.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a garden wall which in some places is two courses high, in others about 10. It's a sloping curves wall.

It's poorly built. I need to do a short term (3yr) fix to make is slightly more presentable.

There is no DPC.
The soil side is bare brick.

I've read that it cannot be rendered unless it is engineering brick, there's a DPC and soil side is black jacked/has a DPM.

BUT....I think read, that actually, as long as it's a "proper" brick it doesn't need DPC, or soil side DPM, and can be rendered?
Like here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-dpc-worthwhile-in-a-garden-wall.433399/

So here is the brick that my shoddy garden wall is built from, thoughts?

Can I render straight onto it?

Thanks
A DPC would be pointless. Blackjack would be equally pointless. London bricks (Tudor reds) at ground level are pointless. Rendering London bricks in that situation - equally pointless. Not only do you have a poorly built wall, but also some of the worst bricks possible for that situation.

Sponsored Links
When you say London Bricks do you mean Soft Reds?

As these aren't soft reds.
They are London Tudor reds laid frog down and are already showing that they are deteriorating. Quite possibly the worst brick for that situation.

They are London Tudor reds laid frog down and are already showing that they are deteriorating. Quite possibly the worst brick for that situation.
Thanks.

London Tudor REGENT Bricks. I was searching for London Tudor, but the ones I have look different. They are, Regent type

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back