Can this just be moved up above the wall units?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
342694D6-EF5D-4EE6-B1F2-E356AFA05E1D.jpeg
I have this switch panel for integrated dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer.

It’s directly above where I want to fit the hob in the kitchen refit I’m doing.

I think regs require integrated appliances to have an isolation switch.

My question is. Rather than rewiring the switch to a new location, could I just situate the switch directly above its current location but above a wall unit or do they need to be located within easy reach?

Sponsored Links
I did wonder that for a solution to your previous thread.

You don’t want to be standing on a chair to be operating them though.

Can you get to the appliance sockets ?

View attachment 148869 I have this switch panel for integrated dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer.

It’s directly above where I want to fit the hob in the kitchen refit I’m doing.

You said in your prievous thread that it was no longer necessary as the wife had decided the hob can go in the same position as the old one. Has she changed her mind?

View attachment 148869

I think regs require integrated appliances to have an isolation switch.

You think wrong.

View attachment 148869

My question is. Rather than rewiring the switch to a new location, could I just situate the switch directly above its current location but above a wall unit or do they need to be located within easy reach?

Surely directly above its current location IS a new location. As they are not required being within easy reach it is irreverent. Would the cabling be long enough to reach this new location?

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but before deciding where to move this to, we need to know which direction the cables come from, as you should avoid hidden joints in the wall.

For example, if the cables come from above, then the accessory is best to be moved higher. Or access MAY be gained above the ceiling.

If the cables come from below, then the accessory can be moved virtually anywhere as cables and joints can be hidden behind base units, or PERHAPS floor taken up.

If (some) of the cables run horizontally, MAYBE the accessory can be moved to the left or the right.

Sponsored Links
I did wonder that for a solution to your previous thread.

You don’t want to be standing on a chair to be operating them though.

Can you get to the appliance sockets ?
As it stands at the moment the dishwasher socket is under the sink, the fridge freezer one is behind the built it fridge freezer and the washer one is behind the built in washer.

You said in your prievous thread that it was no longer necessary as the wife had decided the hob can go in the same position as the old one. Has she changed her mind?

You think wrong.

Surely directly above its current location IS a new location. As they are not required being within easy reach it is irreverent. Would the cabling be long enough to reach this new location?

You think wrong.

She’s changed her mind.

So can I just get rid of the isolation switch altogether?

Yeah, the cable is long enough as they all go straight up.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but before deciding where to move this to, we need to know which direction the cables come from, as you should avoid hidden joints in the wall.

For example, if the cables come from above, then the accessory is best to be moved higher. Or access MAY be gained above the ceiling.

If the cables come from below, then the accessory can be moved virtually anywhere as cables and joints can be hidden behind base units, or PERHAPS floor taken up.

If (some) of the cables run horizontally, MAYBE the accessory can be moved to the left or the right.
All 4 cables come in from the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back