Can this just be skimmed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon folks.

Absolute Novice.

Have knocked what I believed to be artex off a wall. Now I think it was swirls in the rendering.

This is what I'm left with...
IMG-20170608-WA0005.jpeg

I've filled the large holes and a couple of coats of PVA. I was wondering if I can just skim over this?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Assuming that this is an interior then:

Break contact 40mm above the solid floor.
Apply one coat of tacky PVA and you can skim over the tacky PVA.

Check out the surface of the wall, as it looks like you have a few cracks! So scrim tape them before you plaster as they will come back if you don't...

Sponsored Links
Why bond it - for what purpose would bonding be needed?

The OP has filled the divots, and PVA'ed twice - he doesn't complain of uneveness or out of plumb, and its been also been recommended that a tacky coat of PVA be applied?

In other words: the surface is flat, and the suction has been taken up - why create work?

To get a nice flat , even suctioned surface .

I'd do it the very same way, extra work or not. As long as the finished job looks good, that's what counts. Each to their own. I agree with Vinn, that the plaster should be cut back up from the floor level. NEVER plaster right down to floor level.

Last edited:
Its not a case of each to their own when advising a DIY'er of the most simple way to do a simple skim job.

If professional plasterer's wish to make work for themselves - so be it.

But the DIY'er might now have to deal with a surface thats been pulled out giving him possibly more work to adjusting any woodwork trim, and the various devices that are typically fixed to walls.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back