Can this roof be repaired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been tasked with sorting out the mother in laws house, one of the major problems is the roof. There's various tiles missing, even more slightly chipped/cracked, and the felt has gone through in places which has caused damp issues in places. The guttering was full of crap but I've sorted that and adjusted it so it actually works, so the big damp patch down the front of the house should go away. There was also an issue with brambles/ivy growing up onto the roof at the back but they've been cut away now.

I know it's hard to tell from a picture, but does this roof look repairable? Or does it need starting again completely?
Any ideas on rough cost for repair or replacement?
The hard bit is going to be paying for it, but if we have a rough idea of cost, we can try and work out how we will sort the funding. Location is North Lincolnshire.

Sponsored Links
I think you're right. I went up in the loft today to make an attempt at covering some of the holes up to make it slightly more watertight and much more bird proof.
The rafters appeared to be sound, the 'uprights' down the middle (supporting the ridge) looked a bit rough in places, but the battens I could see didn't look good at all, and there was lots of tile movement/slippage just from me lightly poking and prodding from the inside.

Going to ask a mate from work who lives in the local area for some names of suitable people, get some quotes/advice, and take it from there...

Sponsored Links
For what its worth, the majority of the tiles appear sound. So could easily be reused on new underlay and batten.
Just make up the shortages.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back