Can this toilet be converted to a dual flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have two loos in the house - both look the same - and I would like to convert them dual flush systems. The currently have handles rather than buttons, so I don't know if that will be an issue?

Anyhow, it's all new to me and I wondered if anyone with more knowledge could please help me out by letting me know if it is possible and if so what I would need to do / get?

Many thanks

Max

IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2064.JPG

Sponsored Links
No problem, Fit Fluidmaster fill valves ( Brass Fitting)

Why do you need dual Flush ?
Flapper valve are basically trouble free once fitted , and you can control the amount of water required on a flush. ( dont forget the donut washers)

No particular need for dual flush; I just didn't realise there were other options.

I haven't heard of any of those things you mention, so I'll get googling.

Many thanks for the helpful reply.

Sponsored Links
Andy,
I always agree with your recommendation regarding Fluidmaster entry valves, but have to say I disagree on the old fashioned Syphonic valves, IMO Flapper Valves are the " Dogs **" other than the internal chain breaking or a sediment build up on the flapper valve which take about five minutes at the most to repair , plus one can regulate the flush quantity.

Hi Bosswhite, I would agree with you but what I have found is that people are used to 'feel' the flush when they flush the toilet. The flapper valve does take a time to get used to as most people are heavy handed. I always set the syphon to do a full flush as I don't believe that a half flush is any good for anything. Also the syphon I have listed is very easy to gain access to the diaphragm washer to replace.

Andy

Andy,
Agree with you regarding the flush of the toilet, half flush in most cases is useless IMO half flush is only there to make people think they are conserving water, water capacity of most cisterns has been reduced anyway.

The people who use 1/2 flushes are the ones that normally get a blocked drain line and manhole, then I come along and use 100 gallons of water to clear it.

Andy

Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

A hundred and one jobs in the house and garden took over and so this never got done. Usual story! :oops:

Hoping to get it done now though.... I've had a couple of quotes and they've come in at around £300 to do both loos, which is a lot more than expected. So how difficult do you think it would be for someone like me to do it (not useless, but not an expert)? Is this within a novice DIYers realm?

When I was at the vet recently I noticed their toilet had a dual flush. The sticker said it was a Dudley. I had a sneaky peak in the cistern and have compared what I saw with photos on the internet. I'd guess it was the Turbo 88, which is what HERTSDRAINAGE2010 links to in post #4. From what I have read (but possibly misunderstood) this can be fitted into a close-coupled toilet like mine directly without having to take the cistern off. Is that correct? With some of the others it seems the cistern has to come off and more work is involved.

Flapper valves... I've just had a look but can't quite get my head round it. Are they a completely different system/set up to what I have at the moment? And is it as simple as the toilet only flushes for as long as the handle is held down. I can't think I have ever come across one in a toilet if so, so are they quite rare? And how easy/difficult are these to install compared to something like the Dudley?

Sorry for the multitude of questions!

Thanks again

Hi

.. I've had a couple of quotes and they've come in at around £300 to do both loos, which is a lot more than expected. So how difficult do you think it would be for someone like me to do it (not useless, but not an expert)? Is this within a novice DIYers realm?
Not really for novice
can this be fitted into a close-coupled toilet like mine directly without having to take the cistern off. Is that correct? No - any alterations and the cistern has to come off.

Flapper valves... I've just had a look but can't quite get my head round it. Are they a completely different system/set up to what I have at the moment? And is it as simple as the toilet only flushes for as long as the handle is held down. I can't think I have ever come across one in a toilet if so, so are they quite rare? And how easy/difficult are these to install compared to something like the Dudley?
About the same.

Thanks again
The plumbers don't want the job and have priced at £150 less materials £30 ish )` for each one. It's like having a new "efficient" boiler - How long is the £ payback ?? What's a cu. metre of metered water c.£2.50 (220 gallons .) Put a brick in the cistern and use less water;)

Last edited:
From what I have read (but possibly misunderstood) this can be fitted into a close-coupled toilet like mine directly without having to take the cistern off. Is that correct?
No. To replace the siphon in your cistern with the turboflush, the cistern and pan would need separating. In the future, if the turboflush needs a new diaphragm, this can be done nice and easy without separating cistern and pan.

Fluidmaster also do a replacement dual flush siphon which works well and is a bit more compact than the Dudley.

Flapper (my preference), turbo or other flush valve/syphon you still have to separate cistern and pan.

If doing it yourself factor in that you may need to replace the close-coupling kit and doughnut washer. The latter come in three possible varieties (one common, two less so), so be prepared to visit a plumbers merchant mid job.

The prices you were given may have taken this into account.

PS I like the lead washers the original installer made and used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back