Can this two-wire lead be used as an extension?

That's a very high failure ratio indeed!
It is, and I must say that I don't recall any, of any brand, failing within the first year.

In terms of the memory-dependent recollections I recently mentioned, what I 'convinced myself' back the, was that of the brands I's experienced, the longest-living (and probably cheapest) were the Homebase ones, and that the shortest-living (and probably most expensive) were the Bosch ones.

If nothing else, that did teach me that price and brand were very poor predictors of the life expectancy of a (cordless tool) battery!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Makita has also been my worst experience of batteries quickly failing, plus very heavy too. My Lidl 20v range has been much better, plus much lighter.
Yes the early Makita range was extremely heavy and far more tiring for continuous use than a corded drill with loads more drilling power. The same is true to a lesser extent for other makes until recent battery technology.
I keep walking past the Lidl battery tools which I quite like the look and feel, even with recent price rises they are significantly cheaper than probably every other drill I've purchased, I believe below half the price of the DeWalt bargain 2 pack with a discount voucher. However I noticed the other day they had 3 different batteries for sale for the different ranges they have had for sale and it makes me wonder how long they will support before the drill gets tossed onto the pile with the others. Will it be like my hedge trimmer where the only support was a refund under the 3 year warranty? If that is the case would failure of batteries be extended to the separately purchased tools?

That's a very high failure ratio indeed!

It is, and I must say that I don't recall any, of any brand, failing within the first year.
Annoyingly others had similar experience and all just accepted the replacement battery. Reading their small print it actually stated the battery was not covered under warranty due to the abuse they receive... Hmm

Sponsored Links
If that is the case would failure of batteries be extended to the separately purchased tools?

Batteries are normally only covered for a much shorter time frame. I don't know what the Lidel policy is though.

Yes the early Makita range was extremely heavy and far more tiring for continuous use than a corded drill with loads more drilling power. The same is true to a lesser extent for other makes until recent battery technology.
I keep walking past the Lidl battery tools which I quite like the look and feel, even with recent price rises they are significantly cheaper than probably every other drill I've purchased, I believe below half the price of the DeWalt bargain 2 pack with a discount voucher. However I noticed the other day they had 3 different batteries for sale for the different ranges they have had for sale and it makes me wonder how long they will support before the drill gets tossed onto the pile with the others. Will it be like my hedge trimmer where the only support was a refund under the 3 year warranty? If that is the case would failure of batteries be extended to the separately purchased tools?

I have a lovely Festool drill with the right angle/offset/quick release chucks. The NiHi batteries were discontinued years ago. I can't justify the £90 cost to get each battery re-celled. Instead, I purchased a Metabo cordless drill, it was, with some of the attachments, cheaper than having the festool batteries rebuilt. Metabo are part of the CAS battery alliance, so I hoping that the current batteries will be supported for longer.

I suspect you missed the earlier post where it was suggested that 3 out of every 2 failed.

I suspect you missed the earlier post where it was suggested that 3 out of every 2 failed.
I didn't miss it, I merely did not 'take it in' - as so often happens in these situation, I read it to be saying what I expected it to say, not what it actually said ;)

However, it remains the case that even "2 out of every 3" (or even "3 out of every 12", which I suppose may conceivably have been what he intended to type!!) exceeds the first-year failure rate (I think zero) that I have personally experienced!!

Kind Regards, John

I meant 3 out of 2
then given a discount ticket for DeWalt and got a 2pack of 12V - first 2 batteries and one charger replaced under warranty due to short life then one of those replacements also replaced.
I make that 3 out of 2

I was overjoyed to find that my ex partner left behind a Bosch SDS drill box..

..but that later turned to significant disappointment to find it contained a burnt-out Wickes normal hammer drill
I have a Hilti 220 box:) sadly the drill was stolen:cry: so it now homes a Homebase attempt at a copy.:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back