Can two electric showers be fitted in a house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate that normally for safety reasons you cannot have two electric showers fittind in a house due to the loading limitations.
However.
Question:
Could one electric shower be low kw and the other be; say 8.5kw or 9 kw if the two seperate 10mm circuits had an isolating switch that cut the other one off when the other one was calling for power; used.

Surely, there must be some way to safely incorporate two electric showers in a house.

Sponsored Links
2 x 10 kW = 30 kW = 87 A. Only 83 A if the showers are rated and supplied at 240V. That's within a 100 A domestic supply.

In reality, as showers are usually a short-term and intermittent load, you can have 3 running with no problems as far as the main fuse is concerned. This would be on a new, good quality and properly terminated CU though, not some ropey old bakelite with 16mm tails.

Could one electric shower be low kw and the other be; say 8.5kw or 9 kw

When you ask if one could be low Kw, how low do you mean? 8kw is about as low as normal electric showers go. Anything lower is unlikely to give a useable shower.

You need to be looking at a min of 9.5 Kw if you want a good shower. The lower powered models ain't exactly Niagara.

I would look at a different way of showering first.

What about a unvented cylinder and thermostatic showers?

If all else fails I think you can buy a interlock switch that, as you say, only allows you to use one shower at a time. Repost in electrics forum for advice on that.

Sponsored Links
They can, provided you actually have a 100A supply - plenty of properties will have 80A or 60A.
Other loads within the installation must also be considered, such as an electric hob, plus you must also ensure the water flow and pressure are suitable for two showers simultaneously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back