Can vibration affect a domestic C.H. Boiler adversely?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My question is stated in the title of this posting, but here is some background to my question:

In March of this year, I posted on this forum about an intermittent fault on our Vaillant Combi boiler (it's an EcoTech Plus 824). Many, many times, in the morning, I would rise and turn on the hot tap, only to find that the water was cold — the ignition had failed. I kept on pressing the fault-clearing button, but it did not cure the problem.
One day, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the ignition had not failed for two whole days.
Time went by, and the last entry in my diary (about five days ago) says that the boiler has been OK for 21 weeks. I began to believe that the intermittent fault had finally been cured (by holding in the fault-clearing button for a long time, perhaps).

Anyway, this morning, the same old problem appeared. The DHW was cold (as were the radiators), and the fault shown on the display was that the ignition had failed.

The reason for this rather long-winded post is that, about five working days ago, construction engineers, working only about 50 yards/metres away, commenced pile-driving. As the drop-hammer drives home the piles, the house shakes (I am very concerned about the effect that this will have on the building, but that is another subject). Anyway, I was wondering whether this vibration might have an adverse effect on our boiler, and whether this may have been the cause of it failing. This morning, it took about ten re-sets (pressing in the fault-clear button) to get the heating icon to show steadily, instead of slowly flashing in and out (the last-mentioned always tells me that the heating has not been set properly).At this moment, the DHW really is hot, the rads are on, and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Of course, I am seeking reasons to blame something other than the boiler, and hope that my suspicion that vibration has caused a malfunction will be supported. That would give me more faith that, in the Spring, my boiler really was cured.) Please tell me what you think, and any reason you may have for bearing out what I think.

Any comments about this would be received with interest. Thanks in advance!
A.W.

Sponsored Links
would doubt very much if the pile driving would affect the boiler in any way, might however affected the gas supply and meter governor who knows, needs an engineer on site when it faults to tell you

would doubt very much if the pile driving would affect the boiler in any way, might however affected the gas supply and meter governor who knows, needs an engineer on site when it faults to tell you

Well, it's a great relief to report that the pile-driving has now ceased. For about two days, right in the middle of the period in which pile-driving was happening, the boiler played up (the ignition would not work automatically). I did a fair bit of re-starting and holding down the fault-clearing button. The boiler seems to have settled down again. For the last several days, the ignition has fired it up in the morning, and the DHW seems to be reliable again. This is just for the record. Thanks for the reply!
A.W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back