can we tile over an area of rising damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we removed a solid fuel-burning boiler and exposed the chimney breast - this area has had constant heat for 30+ yrs
now we notice rising damp

my mother is in her eighties and can't face "mess" - like putting in a new damp course

could we just tile over it and hide the problem? Plaster is "sound" at present -just stained by damp?

Sponsored Links
If there's damp there then the tiles will just fall off again.
What makes you say that?
I think I see why you're asking - what I wrote was ambiguous.

What I mean by "damp" is recurring damp, not a lickle bit of moisture that would soon wick away in the general drying out process in the days after tiling.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with you if we were talking about tub mixed adhesive, but if using a powdered cement based adhesive, why would you suggest that the tiles would come off?

I would agree with you if we were talking about tub mixed adhesive, but if using a powdered cement based adhesive, why would you suggest that the tiles would come off?

thanks for your comments
presumably a competent tiler would know what mix to use

Fair play gcol - you're absolutely right. I was being very lazy, and assumed from the OP that he himself would be doing the tiling, and jumped to the conclusion that he would premix. :oops:

I should have said...

If you do go ahead and tile before curing the damp problem, then ensure you use a powdered cement-based adhesive, as the premixed types will deteriorate if persistently dampened.

Notwithstanding that, you should address the cause of the damp anyway, because the water has to go somewhere and it won't do your mother's house any good.

.... you should address the cause of the damp anyway, because the water has to go somewhere and it won't do your mother's house any good.
Yes you should. If the wall is damp, the adhesive and grout will be damp too. Damp grout = mouldy grout. However, it will be limited and it won't look as bad as a mouldy wall.

Fair play gcol - you're absolutely right. I was being very lazy, and assumed from the OP that he himself would be doing the tiling, and jumped to the conclusion that he would premix. :oops:

I should have said...

If you do go ahead and tile before curing the damp problem, then ensure you use a powdered cement-based adhesive, as the premixed types will deteriorate if persistently dampened.

Notwithstanding that, you should address the cause of the damp anyway, because the water has to go somewhere and it won't do your mother's house any good.

thanks for taking the trouble to contribute to this discussion - I know we should address the issue of damp - but was hoping to do it with minimum disruption- sort of knew all along this wasn't the best option to tile

there is a chance the damp came from a slight leak at the boiler pipework.

can you post a pic of the damp pattern on that wall and the ones around it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back