Can you angle normal windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know if you can tilt a normal double glazed unit (in a uPVC frame) by 15° backwards?

Some frames allow water to drain down onto the cill and out, but if if was tilted backwards would this still work? If there a way of making them waterproof. Adding silicone?

Sponsored Links
Nothing stopping the window being fitted tilting backwards, glazing if internally glazed could be interesting but doable, concealled or face drainage wouldn't work though, any rain water seeping by the external gasket will come through the internal glazing beads

i assume you meant nearly vertical where 15% on the friction stays will need to be perhaps 3 times normal compared perhaps 10 times on near vertical ??

Hi, does anyone know if you can tilt a normal double glazed unit (in a uPVC frame) by 15° backwards?

Some frames allow water to drain down onto the cill and out, but if if was tilted backwards would this still work? If there a way of making them waterproof. Adding silicone?
Why?

Sponsored Links
I want to put some external windows on an angle. I know I should just use roof windows but they are a lot more expensive. Surely if i just silicone the glass into the frame that would work.
IMG_20210101_215618_532.jpg

If drainage isn't a concern to you then just seal over the top of the outer gasket with a good quality polymer sealer not silicone, also think about the cill detail if your having one as it'll now be running backwards unless you form your own with lead but then it needs to be sealed well to the window to stop water tracking back underneath

I worked on a build (council offices) where in one section the glazing was ordered and made for vertical installation, but the architect then changed the design to have a 10° slope (after the windows had been delivered). They were more than 3 metres high and needed to be craned into place as they were something like 40 ft above street level. They leaked from day one because the drainage was all wrong and 12 months later we ended up having to replace all the timber framing around the openings before the glaziers installed brand new windows. Just saying

I worked on a build (council offices) where in one section the glazing was ordered and made for vertical installation, but the architect then changed the design to have a 10° slope (after the windows had been delivered). They were more than 3 metres high and needed to be craned into place as they were something like 40 ft above street level. They leaked from day one because the drainage was all wrong and 12 months later we ended up having to replace all the timber framing around the openings before the glaziers installed brand new windows. Just saying

Wow! I think I'll get a quote to see what the damage will be on roof windows.

Thank you for your reply

If drainage isn't a concern to you then just seal over the top of the outer gasket with a good quality polymer sealer not silicone, also think about the cill detail if your having one as it'll now be running backwards unless you form your own with lead but then it needs to be sealed well to the window to stop water tracking back underneath

I won't be having a cill. Difficult to weigh up if sealing a normal uPVC frame is worth the cost saving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back