Can you "be camp" anywhere?

To be serious though, we (me, the wife and my young son), went to stay in my Father-in-laws Caravan last year and we had a great time (it wasn't in anyone's field, garden etc :D ). I don't think I'd like it if I were a Farmer and someone pitched their tent in one of my fields though.

Fair enough. It's to do with "up in them there hills", for example wales which has large expanses of land used for grazing (if for anything), where a quick overnight pitch as an adventure for me and my kids, left tidy (or even tidier!) wouldn't do any harm, and identifying or even finding tha owner would be problematic.

Just wondering why it's OK in Scotland and Dartmoor, but not elsewhere.
You sound like a canny lad, you can pitch in my field.... well, I have a massive back garden if that helps!

I take your point Dextrous and I think it's a fair point. I also think however that it is the mindless few who ruin it for the concious many! I bet those mindless lot are all camp! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Just don't get your ridge pole out of kilt-er.

Sponsored Links
It's not completely cut & dried about camping on Dartmoor.
See the Bylaws
6 Camping

(1) No person shall knowingly use any vehicle, including a caravan or any structure other than a tent for the purpose of camping on the access land or land set out for the use or parking of vehicles except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.

(2) No person shall knowingly erect a tent on the access land for the purpose of camping:

(a) in any area listed in Schedule 2 to these byelaws;

(b)within 100 metres of any public road or in any enclosure.

(3) No person shall camp in a tent on the same site on the access land for more than two consecutive nights, except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.

i can't see it being popular enough for petitions. and if it was that popular then some nice places would be trashed.
i always take my rubbish home but there will always be some impact - burning forest floor wood, deposits of shall we say "organic" waste, footprints=erosion. it would all add up if everyone was doing it.

what annoys/mystifys me most is how it is nigh on impossible to pay a farmer for basic camping facilities where you can have a little fire. they could build a pit or similar to make it safe. i mean it's not often a high risk of bushfire in Britain is it? thus i am forced to find my own spots out of sight. :cry:

camping without a fire is cold and boring.

ooh you are awful...but i like you
dickemery1_396x222.jpg

Camped in a tent once and when we woke up in the morning, the tent was covered with thousands of earwigs. The kids were terrified and we all vowed never again.

Camped in a tent once and when we woke up in the morning, the tent was covered with thousands of earwigs. The kids were terrified and we all vowed never again.
perhaps they were earwigging your conversations?

Sponsored Links
Back