Can you change controller without changing thermostat wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Two questions please:

1. I possibly didn't think ahead when installing my bathroom and picked up a 'cheaper' looking under floor heating controller from the builder. It's all been tiled over now. Can you change the controller without changing the thermostat wire that measures the temp of the floor or are they designed for each other?

2. I haven't actually wired in the controller, but when I chased in the conduit etc, I did so with the controller box rather close the the heated towel rail. Do the controllers only measure the floor temp or do they measure the air temp as well? I may have some hot air around the towel rail.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Generally designed for use with a specific probe. Different manufacturers might be compatible, but probably not. Best option is to get the correct controller.

2. Some do, some do not.

Re 2
Those that can measure the room tempreature usually have a menu option to use probe temp, air temp, or both.

Sponsored Links
When installing the floor probes, you are meant to fit them in small bore conduit (usually supplied), and this is typically taken to a low level flush box which also doubles as the FCU, or has a blank plate over it.

The probes do fail, and do require replacing.

Some cheaper kits do not supply the conduit, and do not mention the need to be able to remove the probe, most likely because the heater matt itself is not going to last much longer than the probe :cool:

Thanks although not what I wanted to hear..
It's hard to hear anything when you don't listen.

Without the MATCHING controller and thermostats and safety devices any DIY install is going to be high risk of failure..
I possibly didn't think ahead when installing my bathroom and picked up a 'cheaper' looking under floor heating controller from the builder.

You bored ban-old-sheds?

You seem to have searched through 5 month old threads to put in a rather pointless 2 cents worth. Not sure I see the point in what you said, but hey ho, each to them self.

Lastly, before telling me "It's hard to hear anything when you don't listen", why don't you read first! I never said I never had a matching controller & thermostat, I said I bought a cheap one off of the builder and was purely wondering if it would be possible to have a new controller on a diferent thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back