Can you gloss over lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating the hallway and stripped off the anaglypta on the side of the staircase (in a 1930s semi, stairs with one of those little under cupboard door access to gas lecky meter etc) the side of the stairs has plaster underneath but in poor condition. Rather than get a reskim I want to use thick lining paper but would like to gloss white the paper to match the stairs and make it easy to clean , is it OK to goss lining paper over does this make it come away at the seams?

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't cause a problem to the lining paper, the problem I see is that lining a wall does not cover up all imperfections so when putting a gloss or vinyl paint on it will stand out like a sore thumb, entirely up to you of coarse maybe try a small area first to see what it looks like and don't forget you will have a yellow wall in no time as gloss yellows fairly quick

use internal wall filler on really bad bits, rub down and reline. It will NOT be smooth no matter what paper you are using but filling in parts will give you better result.
GLOSSING the paper?? you will spend a fortune!! you will need 2 undercoats and 1 gloss, the whole house will smell horrible for weeks!!

Use vynil silk emulsion or acrylic eggshell. Both are water based but still have shiny and wipeable finishes

Vynil Silk:
first coat should be with the same color with vynil matt emulsion to cover and a top coat (maybe 2) with silk

Acrylic eggshell:
2 coats

Do one wall at the time. Cut in and then roll with a short pile roller

Sponsored Links
I used wickes trade vinyl silk over lining paper not long ago in a bedroom and it worked a treat, it left a nice wipe clean surface when dry with a slight shine to it.

I wouldn't use gloss, vinyl silk works just fine and will be a lot cheaper option!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back