Can you help me identify a component - triac?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is the control board for a poultry incubator, it regulates temperature by pulsing 240V output to the heater. When it's heating up the heater is on full, when it's in control it pulses on and off. The fault is that it can't get up to temperature, it will control stably to a lower temperature but appears not to have enough power.

Testing shows the output to the heater, when on full, shows 130V rather than 240. Without a scope to confirm I'm guessing that it's losing half the AC wave form.

The switching circuit comprises an opto isolator zero volt IC, and a triac. My understanding is that a triac needs +ve at the gate to switch +ve load, and -ve to switch negative. If that's correct then the fault could be either the IC or the output triac.

The triac is marked "912C006", "TIC2" and "PHILIP ES" on three lines. That could be "PHILIPI NES". See photo.

Would anyone be able to identify the part, and suggest a suitable replacement? I can't find any reference to a triac just called "TIC2".

Thanks, Tony S
Triac Screenshot_105.png
IC Screenshot_105.png

Sponsored Links
TIC216 is possible. The word underneath is probably 'PHILIPPINES', the print on that device is partly missing.

Thanks. I'll have another looks but I don't think there is any sign of any writing after the TIC2. Or did you mean that TIC216 might be a suitable replacement/alternative?

"Philippines" was what I unconsciously read, although in fact there's not enough room for there to have been "PIN" in space. Maybe abbreviated to "PHILIPNES"

Sponsored Links
What's the power rating of the heater? Pretty much any 400V+, TO220 cased triac that can handle the load with some headroom should work. Pinouts are pretty standard.Plenty of options here - 6A 400V or better.

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=triac

Actually, I have a load of TIC246Ds, rated 16A 400V which would do the job:
https://www.gme.cz/data/attachments/dsh.225-034.1.pdf

- PM me your address and I'll pop a couple in the post, FOC

For the opto - these pretty much all have a standard pinout - this would likely serve

https://cpc.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/moc3061-m/optocoupler-z-x-triac-driver/dp/SC12306?st=opto isolator

Last edited:
Thank to everyone. The load is just under 45W, the manufacturer only quotes total power of 45W which includes a permanently running circulation fan. The heater is some sort of resistive tape, so I'm guessing not significantly inductive. I don't have a circuit diagram but from examining the board I don't think there's any snubbing circuit.

Out of interest why to you suggest MOC3061 for the opto, rather than MOC3041 as installed, is that just because MOC3041 is out of stock at that supplier?

Thank to everyone. The load is just under 45W, the manufacturer only quotes total power of 45W which includes a permanently running circulation fan. The heater is some sort of resistive tape, so I'm guessing not significantly inductive. I don't have a circuit diagram but from examining the board I don't think there's any snubbing circuit.

Out of interest why to you suggest MOC3061 for the opto, rather than MOC3041 as installed, is that just because MOC3041 is out of stock at that supplier?

It was the first one in the search results that was suitable. Using a higher voltage rated device is not a bad idea anyway, a little more resistant to spikes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back