Dimplex Thermal Cut-Out - Storage Heater

Tam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've got a little Dimplex XL12N storage heater, it stopped working last week. Looking through some google searches, has pointed me to the fact it has a thermal cut-out switch which could have tripped.

After removing the front cover i have indeed found the thermal cut-out switch, which when pressed "clicked" showing that it had tripped.

Now my only concern is how/why it tripped.
The heater has never been covered so it cannot be that.
The heater was turned up to pretty much max, but it was all last winter too - without an issue.

Now i notice that when i turn the input control around from 0 to its max), it doesn't "click" when it hits the current temperature (i hope you understand what i mean) however the other storage heaters in the house do although none are the same model as this one.

Could the thermal cut-out tripped because the thermostat is broken and therefore its heating up past its maximum? Is this a common fault (cannot find anything that points out that it is)

My concern would be, if i switch it back on at the wall, what will happen, will it super heat itself again? will the cut-out work again? or will it heat up and then burn my house down!

Any comments / suggestions / thoughts much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's more than likely that the thermostat has failed and the overheat cutout has operated (That is it's job)

If you are confident with a multimeter and isolation procedures you could confirm this yourself.If not then seek the services of a competant electrician.

It's more than likely that the thermostat has failed and the overheat cutout has operated (That is it's job)

If you are confident with a multimeter and isolation procedures you could confirm this yourself.If not then seek the services of a competant electrician.

No, that makes the most sense doesn't it?

Thermostat fails, heater continues to heat until the temperature is hit where the cut-out is set to. Resetting the cut-out would make it work again, until it overheats tonight and cuts out again.

I think the key thing here is when altering the input temperature there is no "click" from the thermostat when it hits its current temperature, therefore a replacement thermostat is in order (and i might as well get a new thermal cut-out while I'm at it for the minimal cost involved.

Just got to find a Dimplex parts supplier now :confused:

Thanks, always helps bouncing you thoughts of someone else first :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back