can you learn from a book?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this may sound stupid but can you learn to use backing plaster (sand/cement) or (bonding/hardwall/browning) by following a book or dvd's instructions.

i bought a plastering dvd called mastering plastering of the internet and that taught me how to skim useing multi-finish and i haven't looked back i can now skim a full room to a good standard. that was 2 years ago now.

i really enjoy plastering and want to learn more so could i buy a dvd or instruction book to show me the basics of useing backing plasters.

this may be a stupid thing to ask :oops: sorry

keen learner!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I learned from watching other (pro) plasterers and basically either copying them or taking bits of what they do and incorporating them into my own technique.

The one thing however that can not be taught is experience.

There are many little idiosyncrasies, tips, mixing techniques, etc that can only be borne from a guy trying to earn a living from his trade.

If it is your job and your daily crust you soon learn how to save time and effort and whittle things down to a fine art because if you don't then you don't get paid.

The thought of being out of pocket or starving is one hell of a way to learn any trade! ;)

I suppose a good technical book & studying the documentation/spec sheets on the British Gypsum website will give you a basic grounding on the prime uses for the various materials involved, how they behave & interact with each other & other building materials involved. I suppose a good DVD that takes the time & trouble to show the various methods & techniques you will need to master for the range of base & finish coats you can chose to use in detail will also give you a good idea as to what’s involved; & I don’t just mean a video clip of some bloke skimming a bit of plasterboard stuck on a wall. There is also sand/cement/lime rendering which requires a higher & slightly different skill level & then lime putty rendering which, personally, I haven’t tried yet as there is not much call for it; and then there is this Forum of course which has taught me a lot.
Your personal aptitude will also have a huge bearing on how quickly you pick it up & how good you become, IMO, the best spreads are born naturals who can combine all the above with that little bit of black art which makes all the difference; some will pick it up & develop the skill very quickly, others could spend all their life at it & still be NFG.

After a false start some years ago, I was already skimming but making basic mistakes &, for me, the best teaching was 2 days spent watching/questioning/helping a good spread at work in my own house but that was a part of the deal I struck. Then you have to put it all together & that’s where there is no substitute for practice & experience over the years but you never stop learning or making the odd mistake. It rather depends on where you want to end up; if just for personal renovation projects then it may be sufficient but if you intend to charge folks good money for it then that’s something else. ;)

this may sound stupid but can you learn to use backing plaster (sand/cement) or (bonding/hardwall/browning) by following a book or dvd's instructions.

i bought a plastering dvd called mastering plastering of the internet and that taught me how to skim useing multi-finish and i haven't looked back i can now skim a full room to a good standard. that was 2 years ago now.

i really enjoy plastering and want to learn more so could i buy a dvd or instruction book to show me the basics of useing backing plasters.

this may be a stupid thing to ask :oops: sorry

keen learner!!!!!
yes i think you can if you get a dvd giving you step by step instructions and its showing you clearly how its done i think it would give you the knowledge to tackle a small wall i know of such a plasterer that makes dvds and sells them and he gets quite good feed back he covers the whole spectrum of plastering

Sponsored Links
you can read up on some good tips and that in this trade but u cant beat workin and learning from a pro spred, or a few and mix it in with your own technique thats the way i learnt the trade and its all down to experience realy

agree with all of it boys.

you can practice all you like but if you don't know the correct theory then you'll never get any good so getting the correct knowledge is the right place to start but all the knowledge in the world won't compensate for practice.

thanks guys for great advise again. i will buy a dvd/book and have a study then practice practice practice.........

cheers

I suppose a good technical book & studying the documentation/spec sheets on the British Gypsum website will give you a basic grounding on the prime uses for the various materials involved, how they behave & interact with each other & other building materials involved. , IMO, the best spreads are born naturals who can combine all the above with that little bit of black art which makes all the difference; some will pick it up & develop the skill very quickly, others could spend all their life at it & still be NFG.

After a false start some years ago, I was already skimming but making basic mistakes &, for me, the best teaching was 2 days spent watching/questioning/helping a good spread at work in my own house but that was a part of the deal I struck. Then you have to put it all together & that’s where there is no substitute for practice & experience over the years but you never stop learning or making the odd mistake. It rather depends on where you want to end up; if just for personal renovation projects then it may be sufficient but if you intend to charge folks good money for it then that’s something else. ;)
Well said - a friend`s just done his first 2 weeks on a Council refurb as a subbie . The Boss gave him a one day trial - passed fine ;) - but they had 2 guys before that didn`t - There is no shame in giving that scenario a go IF you feel confident enough and IF there is any work near you :cry: Seems like it`s one of the few trades left where you get judged on results not reams of paper and forms :rolleyes: And they aren`t bloody Prima Donnas like Gas Fitters :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back