Can you recommend a non-smart temperature-variable light bulb?

That looks ace! All controlled via app on the phone?

I hate really bright lights! I like it really dimmed and warm output too....

Anyone tried one of the above or can recommend similar?

Sponsored Links
Some of the Hue remotes can be quite sophisticated, and live on the wall, I.e.
Yes I know - hence my comment ....
...... I suppose that what I'm getting at is that if you don't want to use a phone (which you probably already have), you're probably going to have to buy fair bit more than just a 'controllable' bulb/lamp.

Kind Regards, John

At £25 is it direct voice activated? I have been paying around £10 for GU10 smart bulbs. This 20220603_113543_1.jpg is inside a smart GU10 which failed, you can see the three LED elements, two at top are white at different colour temperatures, and below it the RGB LED chip for all the colours, under that plate 20220603_113849_1.jpg also crammed full of control gear, the pair to this lamp still working, it is the luck of the draw how long they last, I have had I think about 4 GU10 smart bulbs fail, well say fail, three I got from Lidi with a three lamp bar, started to flicker, but still work. I wonder if powering them from a smart switch messed them up?

However we must expect LED lamps to fail at some point, and so there is a limit to how much I am willing to pay for a bulb. I did get caught out some years ago, we wanted to get some chandeliers which looked OK with CFL, this was before LED had really come in, so we bought matching units for living room and dinning room, using 16 Philips 8 watt golf ball E14 bulbs, which looking at spec should have lasted at least 5 years, within the year dinning room all bulbs replaced for a cheaper bulb from a discount store, and by the 18 months stage LED's were being sold by Lidi, so two years down the living room had 2 x 1.8 watt and 8 x 3 watt LED candle bulbs. These were not bright enough and were latter replaced with 10 x 5 watt bulbs.

The result of the change over tungsten to CFL then to LED with errors made on sizing resulted in a stock of bulbs, IMGP0859-60.jpg filled a whole draw with new bulbs which were not appropriate for lamps in use, or had been replaced with a different type after a very short time, still some pearl tungsten bulbs, which we panic bought when we thought they were going to be banned, and realised the new bulbs would not work with our dimming switches.

The new lighting may look good 20230227_170703_1.jpg however I find switching on multi switches or playing with the phone to switch on lights just does not happen, once the novelty has warn off. And powered from sockets for the extra lighting be it up lighter or cabinet lights means although we want the extra light, we simply can't be bothered going around switching it on.

Only used now due to Google Mini's a single command hey google turn on living room lights turns them all on, same with outside, many different makes of bulb, some switched with socket adaptors, but hey google turn on outside lights turns on 6 lights around the house.

Without the Nest Mini's the smart lights are just too much hassle turning them on/off with the phone, OK will use the phone when returning late to see the drives, but without google home app bringing all the controls together in one app, they would hardly be used.

Sponsored Links
That looks ace! All controlled via app on the phone?

I hate really bright lights! I like it really dimmed and warm output too....

Anyone tried one of the above or can recommend similar?
Yes I have some colour ambience, some white ambience candles, plus some ordinary dimmable whites and some other colour varying Hue lights.
They worked, for me, better than the Ikea alternatives.
I've always liked coloured light bulbs for various reasons.

My son has the same 'bug' and tried some other make of GU10 colour downlights that were a fail in his family/cinema room (using a Philips Ambilight TV) Hue lamps are expensive though!

Yes I have some colour ambience, some white ambience candles, plus some ordinary dimmable whites and some other colour varying Hue lights.
They worked, for me, better than the Ikea alternatives.
I've always liked coloured light bulbs for various reasons.

My son has the same 'bug' and tried some other make of GU10 colour downlights that were a fail in his family/cinema room (using a Philips Ambilight TV) Hue lamps are expensive though!

Worth it though if the give the desired effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back