Can you recommend a non-smart temperature-variable light bulb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
LEDs are so much better now than they used to be but I can't seem to find a bulb that can be varied between evening and daytime light. 2700K/4000K would be suitable, more variability would be a bonus.

Ideally the bulb would also be dimmable or it could even combine dimming and colour change into one function from a dimmer switch. Philips Warmglow do this, but only between 2700K-2200K, there doesn't seem to be anything going up to 4000K

There seems to be lots of smart bulbs that claim to do this but the last thing I want is to have to use my phone to adjust the lights. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that looks like an incandescent bulb which I'm not sure will give the 4000K daylight part of the spectrum. Good suggestion for the dim-to-warm though! I didn't know they could still be bought!

Philips Hue White Ambiance 2200-6500K. They work well and are fully dimmable as well as the CT variation. (They are brightest at the 4000K mark, I think). In a range of lamp shape and base.

More info at https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p...smart-bulb---800/8719514328167#specifications

Sadly for you it is smart, via Bluetooth and/or the Phillips Bridge via Zigbee --- but once you have that Bridge you can control via Google/Alexa and probably Siri. Plus you can set automated scenes by time of day (even referenced sunrise/sunset). They even do a "Dimmer Switch" https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-dimmer-switch--latest-model-/8719514274617 or Smart button https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/p/hue-smart-button/8719514342668#overview to control the lamp or lamps without needing to pick up a phone or tablet.

Ikea do some as well https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfr...rt-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-00517649/
I found that their ES colour temp changing ones were a bit iffy (in a Hue environment) and they started 'singing' which sent swmbo potty. So they are in a box somewhere. This was some years back though.
Double check that the ones you buy will vary colour temperature via the remote before you leave the store, if you live any distance from their stores!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for such a detailed reply. Those are two promising options I will look into.

I had heard about the Hue but discounted it for being smart, but it sounds as though there are additional products that can make that bearable.

With the automated scenes, would this mean I could do a one-time setup of all the bulbs in a room using the app and then just use it from a switch thereafter?

I had heard about the Hue but discounted it for being smart,
'smart' means devices that can connect to and communicate with other devices.

Not that a smartphone must be used to operate it - although that is often something which can be done.

Oh! I thought that was telemetry, not smart, I thought smart means it works something out, the if this then that idea.

So if it's dark and it detects movement, and not after midnight or before 5 am it does something.

ie A PIR on a timer.

However the bulb does not really change colour temperature, it is two devices in one, a low colour temp LED and a high colour temp LED and they are dimmed or made brighter to give overall effect.

So two bulbs and two dimming switches would do the same thing.

I had heard about the Hue but discounted it for being smart, but it sounds as though there are additional products that can make that bearable.
Both the Philips Hue and Wiz product lines have remote controls available, a smart phone isn't required, but a WiFi connection may be.

There seems to be lots of smart bulbs that claim to do this but the last thing I want is to have to use my phone to adjust the lights. Any recommendations?
I can sympathiose with that, but if you don't want to use your [phone to adjust the brightness and colour of the light, how would you like to do it?

I suppose that what I'm getting at is that if you don't want to use a phone (which you probably already have), you're probably going to have to buy fair bit more than just a 'controllable' bulb/lamp.

Kind Regards, John

Lampandremote.jpg
I used one of these for the guest bedroom, don't really want to get all guests to log into my router. Can't remember all the functions, was cheap enough from B&M bargains, switching the light switch off/on resets bulb to on.

View attachment 311682I used one of these for the guest bedroom, don't really want to get all guests to log into my router. Can't remember all the functions, was cheap enough from B&M bargains, switching the light switch off/on resets bulb to on.
Fair enough, but I'm not sure that I would personally regard that device very differently from a phone ;)

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but I'm not sure that I would personally regard that device very differently from a phone ;)
Some of the Hue remotes can be quite sophisticated, and live on the wall, I.e.

I have fitted TP=Link (Tapo) smart switches, which can be linked to a smart button, the same applies to their bulbs, I have not tested what happens if internet switched off, but it does seem internet only required to set them up, once done, you could turn it off.

Also fitted Energenie (MiHome) smart switches, here there is no need for a hub to use with a remote control, with the hub one does gain extra functions, but when first fitted I did not have the hub.

I have a lot of smart devices, and they did need a phone to set them up, well actually easier with a tablet, but once setup, then they all work with voice commands with my Nest Mini's.

So I have one zigbee remote, about 4 Energenie remote's, and one Tapo remote. I do feel to get out a phone to alter lighting is harder than getting up and turning a dimmer switch, but the remote controls next to the bed have worked well now for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back