Can you remove a radiator permanently?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Basically I'm buying a new fridge and i need all the space i can get, So i was wondering if its possible to remove a radiator (its a big one closest to the combi boiler) from the wall and just closing both valves each end?

I though if you did that it would stop the circulation of the other radiators?

Because isn't it all one system?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most systems are two pipe so one radiator can be shut off without affecting others, only very old and cheap systems would have rads in tandem I doubt that's likely in your case with a combi.

The only case that it might affect the system is many combi boilers use the radiators as a bypass to "dump" heat left in the boiler after a hot water outlet has been used, sometimes people wonder why an odd radiator heats up briefly in summer, this is the cause.

Check what type of radiator valves you have on your system if you have thermostatic valves fitted there should be at least one non themostatic type so there is always a route for circulation.

As long as the one you want to turn off is not the only non thermostatic valve there should be no problem.
So as long as there is another "normal" valve on another radiator, the easy way to confirm is just to turn off both valves on the rad you want to remove and run the system for a while to set your mind at rest.

Depends if it is a one pipe or 2 pipe system, you need to find the pipe that the radiator is fed from. If it's a 2 pipe system then yes you can but if you are removing it permanently then you should really cap the pipe as close to the main feed pipes as possible. Do all your rads have TRV's? (Thermo rad valves) There may be one that has no TRV on it if the CH is older and doesn't have an auto bypass fitted. Just makes sure that it's not the one you're removing.

Thanks for the reply's

it is one with a thermostat, There is only 1 in the house that doesnt have a thermostat but I'm not touching that one.

As for capping it I'm unsure about that atm never done it before and we rent our house.

So if it has a thermostat it should be okay to remove?

Im unsure if it is a 2 pipe system i have no clue honestly.

All i know we only have a combi boiler for our heating.

Sponsored Links
as footprints says, it will probably be a 2 pipe system and turn the rad off and run the CH, if the other rads heat up then it's a 2 pipe and that one can be removed.

If it's thermostatic you MUST cap it don't on any account just leave it turned off and open ended!

Thermostatic valves have a frost setting they will open up even if turned to off if the room ever nears freezing, just leaving a door / window open on a very cold day may cause it to flood the room.

You don't need to remove the valve, simply cap the open end of the valve that connected to the radiator. Sizes of thread vary many modern ones are 1/2 BSP so buying a cap from a plumbers and screwing it on with either some ptfe tape or sealant like Fernox LSX will do, but if the thread is an odd union size take the tailpeice out of the rad fit it back onto the valve and the bit that fitted into the rad will be 1/2 BSP

Edit much better to use the tailpeice as this will be a taper thread and a much better fit.

Its not a automatic one its just the one with settings like frost etc, Maybe ill have to buy a cap for it to be on the safe side.

As for capping it I'm unsure about that atm never done it before and we rent our house.
As it's not your house, you will need to obtain permission from your landlord before removing it.

True.

Why not just turn the lock shield valve off fully? The rad will then not come on. If the valves are not in the way, then the rad is not likely to be.??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back