Can You Run A Plinth Heater On Microbore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of fitting a plinth heater in my kitchen. Is it OK on 10mm microbore?

Also, I realise that the fan switches on when the CH comes on, but how do you control the heat output, so that the kitchen doesn't get too hot?

Sponsored Links
These heaters come with a switch so you can turn them on and off, and sometimes for different fan power settings. Obviously they are also controlled by the overall central heating but this isn't always effective because of the other heat sources in the kitchen.

Some models come with a thermostat either built in or for wiring as a room stat. You can use a kitchen room stat to control the fan directly since without the fan these little radiators don't put out much heat.

You can also potentially fit a TRV but that is subject to having a suitable location. Right next to the radiator itself isn't usually a good place. You should look at controlling then fan first since you don't really want the fan blowing over a shut off radiator.

Microbore shouldn't be a problem, although you will probably need an adapter to at some point to match the pipes on the heater. Are you going to run microbore right back to a manifold?

Just as a semi-hijack, these hydronic heaters, fitted to a combi boiler-powered system, how do they know to shut off the fan when the boiler is off? Is there a powered link to the boiler? And if controlled independantly by a roomstat, does the unit shut a valve when the fan shuts off? I wouldnt think it'd do it any good being hot with no fan blowing.

Sponsored Links
Just as a semi-hijack, these hydronic heaters, fitted to a combi boiler-powered system, how do they know to shut off the fan when the boiler is off? Is there a powered link to the boiler? And if controlled independantly by a roomstat, does the unit shut a valve when the fan shuts off? I wouldnt think it'd do it any good being hot with no fan blowing.

They have a flow/temp switch. When the water stops flowing, or the temp drops, the fan goes off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back