Can you solve this building 'mystery'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Does anyone have any idea what's caused these cracks in the walls? Will try to describe this the best I can. This is a bungalow built on sloping ground, front of house is solid stone, rear of house and half of the gable ends are stone the other half concrete breeze block - by half I mean vertical half - all are rendered. There is a garage and carport built on one end, above the garage where it is joined to the house there is a large crack - you can see this in picture - this crack also goes down one side of the house horizontally and a bit on the edge of the roof - you can see this in the pic too. The home report did not mention this and the only thing it did pick up was the path around the house which has moved but 'nothing to suggest ongoing, no other mention of structural movement.

We have had three builders look at this and none of them could tell us the cause. We are sure someone must know!

Would very much appreciate any suggestions you guys could offer. View media item 89245 View media item 89246 View media item 89247

Sponsored Links
I think: Your first pic shows a delaminating length of rendered dash coating. Under the stress of some kind of movement that top coat patch has not "stuck" to the base coat. Is any surrounding dash blown, cracked or loose?

The second pic shows a vertical crack in the dash below a fascia and near a box soffit. This pic is presumably more or less below pic 3?

Third pic shows, i think, a lengthy crack in a very wide S&C verge.

Are pics 2 & 3 to the RH side of pic 1?

In relation to the pics, on which side of the house was the path movement noticed?

If you post further pics showing the 3 pics in context it would help. Pics of each elevation of the house would help even more. Likewise a pic inside the garage of the wall below no 1 crack.

Any signs of cracks or blown plaster inside the house? Any doors or windows that are stiff or stuck? Any lintels or door frame heads dropping out of level?

Hi Ree, thanks for replying

yes, pics 2&3 are to the right side of pic 1

the path movement is from looking straight at the corner of pic on would be on this side and follows all the way around the house to the back left of pic. the movement is just a bit a way from right side corner which is a large open crack diagonally across it

unfortunately we can't get any more pics now, but we didn't notice anything inside the garage although there was hardboard covering the wall up to ceiling

None of the other signs you mention with the door frames lintels etc..only place indoors was a crack to the wall where the chimney is behind the multi fuel burner but we are aware the chimney needs a repair. The house has concrete floors, some unevenness to them where it looks like there has been 'patch jobs'

My brother thinks it may be because an expansion joint wasn't fitted with the extension, but he's not a builder! I could upload a drawing if that would help with context...

Yes, why not scan a sketch of the floor plan indicating pic positions & all other details mentioned above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back