Can you stick upvc window edging to cement? A bit lost what to do!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A bit unsure what to do so was looking for some advice if anybody can help please?
We had some windows put in but they were never finished off outside as the window company did a runner (after we paid sadly!) There were huge gaps between the brick work and the window outside, so they suggested getting some upvc edging to go around the gaps outside. We bought the edging strip and some OB1 adhesive to stick it on. My partner thought it would be a good idea to put cement in the gaps before the edging was stuck on to perhaps help any drafts or water ingress, but that the cement would be covered anyway (hence it's a bit of a mess!) However neither my partner nor myself are experienced at any of this stuff! We had a friend round today who said you can't stick the edging on to cement, as it just won't stick and he said you can't screw it into the brick work either. I don't know how the window fitters were intending to attach it, I think they were going to use adhesive but they probably wouldn't have cemented the gap first. Basically I wondered have we cocked the job up completely by cementing the gap and will the edging not actually stick to cement? Or is there another way to attach it?

I've attached some pics of the windows and edging if it helps to make anymore sense of my rambling.

Any advice would be much appreciated and please excuse my cluelessness!
Thanks a million

Sponsored Links
OB1 is a hybrid polymer, it acts as a strong adhesive and a sealant, that should suffice if the beading is decorative. You can get low expansion insulation foam for the gaps. Did the window company certify the windows complied with building regs?

Blup

Sponsored Links
Thank very much guys, so helpful. The window company didn't certify anything. The were registered with FENSA at the time, but I phoned fensa and they hadn't registered our job with them before they decided to discontinue with fensa! I think we already submitted our window profiles to planning though and they were OK (I say I think as it feels like such a long time ago, I can't even remember anymore!) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back