can you suffocate a plant? ( not gardening... )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was watching that advert where the guy is growing pound coin plants and uses an inflatable dome to protect them from snow...
I was wondering that since plants use CO2, that if you put them in a sealed bubble and left them, would they suffocate when they used up all the CO2? and would the atmosphere in there be a higher concentration of oxygen..?

Sponsored Links
When they use up the CO2 don't they produce Chloryphil? (sp)

if you suffocated a load of plants would they be crocus?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure why this wouldnt be considered gardening, but it is a very good question. I havent seen the advert-obviously we dont have pound coins--but it sounds very much like a terrarium type of growing system so I found this:
Terrarium Environment - A Self-Sustaining System

In many cases, a closed terrarium might be considered a miniature, self-operating greenhouse, and can be equated to a small ecosystem. The water from the soil is taken up by the plants and transpired into the surrounding air. In the closed container, the water vapor is trapped within the system, creating a desirable high humidity environment for certain shade-requiring mosses, ferns, and tropical plants. When the room temperature is lowered, the excess moisture within the glass enclosure condenses on the side of the terrarium and is recycled back into the soil. The moisture is again taken up by the plant roots and the process is repeated.

The terrarium is therefore a self-sustaining system. At night, plants use oxygen and release carbon dioxide. During daylight hours, plants use that carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, releasing, in turn, oxygen and water vapor. The photosynthetic process supplies energy for growth, and the oxygen is used again by the plants at night.

sounds pretty simple ;)

That's all very well,

until someone drops the bleedin terrarium,

Guess who :oops:

turned mine into a piggy bank for spare change, holds a few hundred pounds!

I'm not sure why this wouldnt be considered gardening, but it is a very good question. I havent seen the advert-obviously we dont have pound coins--but it sounds very much like a terrarium type of growing system so I found this:
Terrarium Environment - A Self-Sustaining System

In many cases, a closed terrarium might be considered a miniature, self-operating greenhouse, and can be equated to a small ecosystem. The water from the soil is taken up by the plants and transpired into the surrounding air. In the closed container, the water vapor is trapped within the system, creating a desirable high humidity environment for certain shade-requiring mosses, ferns, and tropical plants. When the room temperature is lowered, the excess moisture within the glass enclosure condenses on the side of the terrarium and is recycled back into the soil. The moisture is again taken up by the plant roots and the process is repeated.

The terrarium is therefore a self-sustaining system. At night, plants use oxygen and release carbon dioxide. During daylight hours, plants use that carbon dioxide for photosynthesis, releasing, in turn, oxygen and water vapor. The photosynthetic process supplies energy for growth, and the oxygen is used again by the plants at night.

sounds pretty simple ;)

and you lot wonder why i drink :LOL: :LOL:

WKID said:
no, ever seen a bottle garden?

not for growing coins :cry:

The original question reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson's attempt at a zero-carbon range rover. The one where he put a greenhouse full of tomato plants on a trailer with hoses to the range rover's exhausts. :LOL:

But his hopes that it'd take off were dashed when

1. The greenhouse self-destructed all over the Top Gear runway.
2. Hammond and May worked out you'd need a greenhouse the size of a football pitch to absorb the CO2 emitted by the range rover. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back