Can you suggest what is causing irritating plumbing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can suggest what is causing an irritating plumbing noise in my flat.

The property is a five-story, four-flat converted Victorian house in a London area where water -pressure is known to be low, especially at top of house. I am at the bottom of building and the mains water passes, at a good pressure, through my flat before going to rest of building.

The noise seems to be  that of water being sucked and pushed through a pipe. There are two distinct sounds that alternate, one possibly sucking, the other pushing. Sometimes there is only one sound.

It is not extremely loud, but quite audible when happening and it continues for quite a while. Right now it has been going on about an hour, though sometimes only for  a few minutes. It occurs, I think, in the mornings and evenings, though it is nearly lunchtime now. 

I can hear it most clearly in my airing cupboard, where a lot of the water pipes, central heating pipes and hot water cylinder are, but it does not seem to be to do with that, as the central heating has been off for the last two hours at least. I can also hear it near the front door to the street, where the mains water enters before going to the rest of the house, but there it is only the one sound. 

I can also hear it in the rest of the house on the stairs and landings, where the mains water-pipe is, up to the top floor, so I have deduced it is not just to do with my plumbing.

It is only something that has started in the last couple of years. I am wondering what could have changed in that time. Apparently, one flat on a higher floor had a new boiler etc in that time.

It is quite something I would like to fix if that is at all possible.

http://youtu.be/ozoyb7sEux4

Sponsored Links
Thanks for opinions. Excuse my ignorance, isn't Saniflo more for dealing with waste coming out rather than water coming in. Or maybe they do water-pumps too?

Anyway, the noise is definitely not coming from near waste pipes, but internal water pipes.

In fact, I have found out since writing yesterday that some equipment was put in the top flat to deal with low-pressure problems, as it is five floors up, but I've yet to find out exactly what.

What could be done to deal with the noise I'm describing, way down in the the rest of the building (the ground floor and basement, where the water enters) rather than in the flat concerned? Is it normal to get that noise so far away?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back