Irritating noise coming out of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've just returned to my "dorm" room at my university for second term. It's basicly a house though with 6 personal rooms, not a complex. While I was away for the student break they changed the heating. But now since I returned there is an irritating sound coming out of the radiator, sounds like a loud hissing type of sound. I tried opening the radiator to let air out but water instantly started spraying out.

I can call my house manager tomorrow who will likely send someone over to fix it but I don't think I'll be able to sleep with that noise, so I'm hoping I can fix it myself... Anyone knows something I could try?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like undersized pipe or the pump speed is too high.

Probably one of the valves turned down, restricting the flow. This can cause hissing noises. Turn the valves up (anti clockwise). You may need to remove a cap and turn one of them with pliers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the installer actually tried to achieve the required temperature drop as required by the manufacturer. When you use cheap materials, this can cause radiator noise.
What boiler is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back