Can you switch on hot water while radiators are drained?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question as subject, I'm waiting on a part which won't be here until tomorrow but I really want to turn the hot water on if I can? The radiators are drained and I've tied up the ball in the expansion tank. It is an old two valve boiler as pictured, if I only turn on the hot water will it damage the boiler? Should I manually shut off any of the valves before doing this? Or is it better to keep the whole system off?

View media item 89579

Sponsored Links
If you have drained the radiators and the tank feeding the boiler is empty, then the boiler will also be empty. You must not switch the boiler on under any circumstances.

However, your hot water cylinder will be filled from a separate feed and expansion tank, which assuming that it is still full, and that there is water flowing freely out of your hot hot taps, then you can use the immersion heater fitted to the hot water cylinder to heat your hot water safely.

It is an old two valve boiler as pictured

BTW, that picture is not a boiler. That is a hot water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back