Cancelling sky which cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’ve cancelled sky, which was in the lounge. I’ve got freeview in all bedrooms from a box upstairs.
Does anyone recognise what all my cables are for and what do I need to plug into my tv to pick up freeview? Many thanks if anyone can help 2C3FCCF9-5216-4FA8-8F6C-990644D3586B.jpegB3E39C44-EE4E-4F5F-8391-C3180050FA96.jpeg3A6AB8B2-6822-4E7F-B0C8-82410429E884.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Do you have an antenna on the roof?
You want the cable that comes from that.

As we don't know where those wall plates come/go from its hard to tell although the one in the middle appears to be for the satellite.
The one on the right that goes to the barrel connector and then another cable - where does this go?

Is your sky box a sky Q one or a sky+HD one?
The latter you get to keep, the Q one has to be returned.
If you could keep a box ISTR you can turn them into freesat boxes for a small fee which gives you lots of channels and less messing around.

It looks like your house has had wiring for an RF Loop-through so that the Sky box picture could be piped to other TVs in the house.

DIYNOT_aerial loop.jpg

Unplug the two aerial cables connecting at the white joiner/back-to-back. When you do this, the Freeview signal to the other TVs will disappear. Don't worry, it will come back when you follow my instructions.

Remove the joiner so both cables have the silver-looking aerial plug only. Connect one of the two in to your TV. Go to the TV tuning menu for Digital TV and try an auto tune. (read/download/search web for your TV manual if you need it).

If your TV picks up stations, then you've found the aerial feed. If not, try the other cable and repeat the tuning process. One of the two cables should give you a picture. Mark the cable that works (stick label / pen mark - whatever you need to do)

Reconnect the two cables with the joiner. Freeview returns to the other TVs in the house. Continue reading below

DIYNOT_aerial socket.jpg

Depending on what you decide to do about a recorder in the lounge (I presume), then you'll either do whatever you need to do to keep the Sky box with its recording feature, or you'll buy a Freeview recorder and hook up the RF IN - RF OUT* connections and a HDMI for the local TV (see below for Humax RF tips), or you'll decide that you don't need a Freeview recorder at all, but you'll still want Freeview on the main telly as well as on the other TVs in the house. If this last one is the option you choose, then you'll need a 1-in:2-out RF splitter so that the TV and the aerial distribution box both get signal.

Get a metal-bodies splitter. They're cheap enough at under £2. Don't waste your time or ours with the plastic jobs. They're rubbish and will drive you mad because of interference. The metal ones are cheap and shielded. Simples (y)

DIYNOT_temp wiring.jpg

The splitter does what the standard Sky/Sky+/Sky+HD boxes with RF loop-through did. They give an aerial signal for the TV (RF1) and a second output to feed an aerial distribution box via the RF2 out. If you had Sky magic eyes, these are now redundant.

Labgear shielded two-way splitter from Screwfix @ £1.64 LINK

* Humax tips

Humax make decent and easy to use Freeview recorders. I would recommend the HDR-1800T or the HDR-2000T. Of the two, the HDR-1800T is reputed to be more reliable. The other Humax Freeview box is the FVP-5000T. It's a lot more money, has a bigger hard drive, can make more simultaneous recordings, and has more SmartTV-type features, but they're a bit flakey. Personally, if I wanted to make a dumb TV smart, or update an old SmartTV, I'd buy an Amazon Firestick. For Internet streaming, they work beautifully.

Humax have a bit of a quirk about their RF loop-through though. It can be temperamental. Rather than using it, it's better to feed the Humax from a splitter. In your case, you would need a 3-way splitter (Humax, TV, loft box), and so if your longer-term plan is to add a Freeview recorder, then you might think about getting a 3-way splitter rather than a two-way. The only small wrinkle is the coax connections use the screw-on type F connectors for all of these. That's actually not a bad thing because it simplifies making up coax fly leads, but it is something you should be prepared for.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. (That's the THANKS button, not the Like button, there's a difference) It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. It costs you nothing. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Sponsored Links
If you could keep a box ISTR you can turn them into freesat boxes for a small fee which gives you lots of channels and less messing around.

They become free to air boxes not Freesat. There is no fee involved. This is a myth, sorry a lie, put out by sky to try to get more money.

So this is a lie?
And this?
https://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

Surely "free to air" gets the stuff an antenna can get and freesat gets the stuff a satellite sends?
Free to air:
In which case, as your using a satellite dish - you get satellite tv = freesat?

Either way YOU DO get plenty of channels when using an old skytv box, I have done this and will do it again.

Last edited:
So this is a lie?

The lie is the suggestion a small fee is required. No fee is required.

And this?
https://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

Surely "free to air" gets the stuff an antenna can get and freesat gets the stuff a satellite sends?
In which case, as your using a satellite dish - you get satellite tv = freesat?

Either way YOU DO get plenty of channels when using an old skytv box, I have done this.

Free to air is what you can get without a subscription whether it is from a conventional antenna or a satellite dish (which is a special form of antenna).

Freesat is a brand name of a special EPG that shows channels that have agreed (paid for) to be on it. This EPG and its advantages can only be got with a proper Freesat branded receiver.

Sky muddy the issue be calling their receiver without a subscription "Freesat from sky". The second sentence here from the attached link IS A LIE.

"Have your own equipment? All you need is a viewing card for a one-off payment of £25."

To @mattylad

Free-to-air is anything that doesn't require a specific paid subscription. This could be from satellite via a dish, or it could be terrestrial (the TV aerial), but either way it's TV without monthly subs.

People get tied in knots over whose EPG a service uses. That's kind of the crux of the "It's not Freesat" argument.

Freesat has its own EPG. For those reading who are unsure what EPG means, it stands for the Electronic Program Guide. In a nutshell, the people running the Freesat service have a list of channels that their service includes, and this is what their EPG covers. But there are more channels available outside of what they list. These are not in the Freesat EPG, but some are still free-to-air or free-to-view which is a slightly different thing, but let's not worry about that at the moment.

Sky has its own version of an EPG. There's obviously a lot of overlap with Freesat because channels are common to both platforms. However, it's entirely possible that there could be small differences in the channel mix between Freesat's EPG and the Sky EPG. That's why in the past it wasn't Freesat from Sky, but it looks like they might have changed things to go simpler. That's not a bad thing.

IT DOESNT FEKKING MATTER YOU PEDANTIC GITS !

either help the OP or shut up...
If you have a sky installation with an older box and you cancel your subscription, you can get some satellite services for free.
FACT!

IT DOESNT FEKKING MATTER YOU PEDANTIC GITS !

either help the OP or shut up...
If you have a sky installation with an older box and you cancel your subscription, you can get some satellite services for free.
FACT!
Oi! Wind your bloody neck in. Who the feck do you think you're shouting at?!?

The OP has been helped, considerably; so back it up right now, thank you very much.

who?
Mr pedantic thats who.

What sky offers is called "freesat".
If you have a different opinion to that it does not help the OP to call it a lie, not one single bit.

I have given you web links that show this.

If you disagree then take it up with sky, Im sure that your version of freesat's lawyers would have a fine time if they tried.

who?
Mr pedantic thats who.

What sky offers is called "freesat".
If you have a different opinion to that it does not help the OP to call it a lie, not one single bit.

I have given you web links that show this.

If you disagree then take it up with sky, Im sure that your version of freesat's lawyers would have a fine time if they tried.

As far as I can see, @boilerdoktor has made one post in this thread. In that post, he asked about the aerial cables; and that's pretty-much it. The question was (and I'm paraphrasing here) "how to I get Freeview on my main TV with these cables?" Plain, simple, straightforward.

What I don't see in that OP is any reference to using Freesat or keeping the old Sky box. You seem to have made that up yourself. But what's worse than that, you're shouting at us here about not helping @boilerdoktor when, as far as I can tell, you have done naff all to answer the question in the OP. How can you possibly criticise others for something you haven't done either. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Personally, I don't really care what the hell Sky calls their out-of-contract satellite channel list. But it is a bit bloody cheeky of them to pinch the word Freesat simply because it's a bit easier for consumers to understand than Sky-free-to-view.

If Sky was really offering a true Freesat service, then their EPG would be a like-for-like because they'd be using the Freesat EPG. But it isn't. For example,

Freesat ch 110 - BBC2.....Sky ch 110 - Gold
Freesat ch 111 - ITV HD...Sky ch 111 - Dave
Freesat ch 112 - ITV+1....Sky ch 112 - Comedy Central

Yes, an out-of-contract Sky box receives a bunch of satellite channels. No one AFAICT argued otherwise, so why you made that straw man I'll never understand. Many of those channels are found in the Freesat bouquet too. But regardless of what Sky wants to call it, this isn't the same as Freesat from a bona fide Freesat receiver.

I tried to give you a moderate and balanced reply (post #8), and for my trouble you called me a pedantic git. I don't know whether it's lockdown getting to you, but I'd suggest you go get someone to read this thread back to you so you can hear it in another voice. Perhaps then you'll get a more objective view of your replies.

Get a humax freesat box and carry on using your dish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back