Cancelling sky

I swopped sky box for a humax free sat box , only records one channel at a time but not a problem as all my tv’s ( even the old ones ) offer recording facility to memory stick or hard drive .
Also these days many programs are available on catch up tv via the net .

Sponsored Links
If i go for a humax or similar where can i get the LNB that i’ll need ? Cheers.

Thought you had sky? Just use same feed ( only requires single )
I’ve got sky Q, apparently the LNB is different to normal sky digital. A previous poster said i’d need to change the LNB.

Sponsored Links
I’ve got sky Q, apparently the LNB is different to normal sky digital. A previous poster said i’d need to change the LNB.

You probably will. If you've just had a normal Sky Q installation then the LNB doesn't work directly with older Sky boxes or Freesat receivers. I went in this in some detail on the previous page.

There are plenty of 4-output Sky+/Freesat-compatible LNBs available for under £20. The thing to be careful about is the fitting to the end of the dish arm. The safest option is to buy from a bricks-n-mortar retailer such as the guys at Aerials and TV where you can speak to knowledeable people who will supply you with the right thing, and should you have the one dish that's that's different to everyone else's, then they can help with that too.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you

A thought? SkyQ is a rented service which I assume covers LNB, dish, cable and box(es). In theory then, if you cancel SkyQ, Sky 'could' legally remove all items? I am certain they would want the box posting back but would ignore other items?

I do not, for one minute, think that Sky are going to send an engineer to 'uninstall and recover' kit.

Just a thought....

A thought? SkyQ is a rented service which I assume covers LNB, dish, cable and box(es). In theory then, if you cancel SkyQ, Sky 'could' legally remove all items? I am certain they would want the box posting back but would ignore other items?

I do not, for one minute, think that Sky are going to send an engineer to 'uninstall and recover' kit.

Just a thought....

Only the box is rented. The rest is yours.
Sky don’t use engineers for installations anyway. They use installers.

sky can and will if asked fit a hybrid lnb with sky q outputs and "ordinary" outputs. but unless you were lucky and they didnt have any sky q ones left on the van the chances are as lucid says you will have to change the lnb

Thanks Winston, out of interest then, if your dish or LNB were faulty, is that a chargeable repair item? I assumed that all the kit was rented and all repairs covered by the rental agreement.

Engineers or Installers, obviously I meant a person whatever their title is. And also, who is to say that the 'installer' isn't an engineer :D

I doubt if they would charge for a dish/LNB repair but as far as I know it has not been tested yet.

Engineers are people with professional qualifications and command a reasonable salary. Sky cannot afford to use engineers for installations and no self respecting engineer would want to do it anyway. Sky does employ engineers mainly in research and development at Osterley.

They also incorrectly call their installers engineers. In most of Europe that is illegal but when did sky obey the rules.

Now now Winston - do I detect a little cynicism there!!!! But, point taken (being a retired engineer with professional qualifications!)

:censored:

S

Thanks Winston, out of interest then, if your dish or LNB were faulty, is that a chargeable repair item? I assumed that all the kit was rented and all repairs covered by the rental agreement.

Engineers or Installers, obviously I meant a person whatever their title is. And also, who is to say that the 'installer' isn't an engineer :D

Any hardware up to the introduction of Sky Q was on a minimum 12-month contract. If the hardware failed within that time, then Sky would have sent an installer to sort it. There wouldn't have been any cost for this. Once the 12 months was up, title of the goods (ownership) transferred from Sky to the homeowner. At this point, any repair and replacement work became chargeable. The grey area is whether Sky would stick to its guns for a customer still paying them anything from £25 to £125 for the Sky TV package. There are lots of examples of people either getting a reduction on the £60 callout fee, or getting it done free if they have the balls to push and push and threaten to cancel.

Once out of contract, and no longer paying Sky the monthly subs, then the game changes. The ex-customer can't threaten to cancel, so they lost that leverage. There's no commercial benefit to Sky to repair or replace faulty gear when the contract has expired unless the customer is willing to sign a new contract. This means they're not going to do it for peanuts or for free. What's left then is Sky's price to do the work versus the local aerial and satellite guy.

Sky has a commercial advantage. They have an existing revenue stream from the subscriptions. Part of this goes to fund the fleet of Sky-employed installers. This means that the installer's costs are part-subsidised. You'll generally get a repair done cheaper via Sky.

For Sky Q, the dish and LNB might well be considered a write-off since there's no value in removing them once a customer is out of contract. In fact, it's in Sky's interests to leave that hardware in place because it makes it easier (and cheaper) to get the homeowner to sign a new contract.

The question then of who pays for a dish/LNB/cable repair comes down to whether the customer has an existing or new Sky Q contract, and how much Sky can get away with.

Any hardware up to the introduction of Sky Q was on a minimum 12-month contract. If the hardware failed within that time, then Sky would have sent an installer to sort it. There wouldn't have been any cost for this. Once the 12 months was up, title of the goods (ownership) transferred from Sky to the homeowner. At this point, any repair and replacement work became chargeable.

The question then of who pays for a dish/LNB/cable repair comes down to whether the customer has an existing or new Sky Q contract, and how much Sky can get away with.
I phoned Sky to cancel my rental agreement when my Sky system stopped working and they insisted on getting it working again [within the terms of the contract]. I spent ages on the phone turning things on and off at appropriate times. Eventually they said I'd have to pay for an engineers visit, we got as far as booking the appointment before they told me there would be a cost involved. At that point I quoted the paragraph in their contract which categorically stated that the equipment remains their property at all times and must not be altered, moved etc.
I gave them the option of coming to do the repairs to their equipment at their costs or cancelling the contract forthwith, guess which option they chose.

Other than professionally I haven't had any dealings with Sky for many years so I don't know what their current contracts state.

For any sensible advice in that matter - ask Dave Gorman, he knows it inside out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back