Cancer and meat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The World Health Organization (WHO) has made a groundbreaking, and potentially lifesaving, announcement concerning the link between eating meat and the development of cancer, including colorectal, prostate, pancreatic, and stomach cancers. Specifically, WHO researchers (the Working Group) concluded that eating 50 grams (1.8 oz) of processed meats such as bacon, hot dogs, beef jerky, and deli meats per day increases a person’s risk of developing colorectal cancer by 18 percent.
Source - Google.

My Dad had an argument today with my brother who is a beef farmer.
One believes beef causes cancer and the other thinks that's twaddle. I stayed neutral.
One might be biased though.:D
Of course before my Dad retired he was a beef farmer also.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
18 percent is fairly meaningless unless there is far more information
if the risk on average is say 5% then add 18% off five it is now 5.9%:rolleyes:

unless there is far more information

I didn't google all the information but I dare say its there.
You like the odd steak then? :D

My Dad did have cancer once.
Skin cancer. Which he cured himself by using Strychnine poison.
I don't think the doc would recommend his method.

had bowel cancer 4 years ago touch wood fully removed with most off my large intestine[bowel] no other treatment or medication and as yet with checks no further problems:D:D
as for eating meat i dont eat a lot but 90% off it is processed as in cornbeef' ham' pies 'pasties or slices bacon sausages
i suppose the only saving grace is i will only have say 1 pie every other day and with the average pie/pasty/slice being 150g but only 13-15% meat so would be about 20g total so safeish :D

Sponsored Links
A number of years ago the 'Experts' were blaming cereals such as Weetabix and Cornflakes.
I take the view that if you are destined to get it, i.e. you have the cells in your body from birth, then you will get it regardless of what you eat/do etc.
Doing certain things just increases the risk.

My Dad had an argument today with my brother who is a beef farmer.
One believes beef causes cancer and the other thinks that's twaddle. I stayed neutral.
One might be biased though.:D
Of course before my Dad retired he was a beef farmer also.
I seem to remember you posting a fair bit of stuff about farming when you posted under the name Norcon. Why did you change usernames Norcon?

Specifically, WHO researchers (the Working Group) concluded that eating 50 grams (1.8 oz) of processed meats such as bacon, hot dogs, beef jerky, and deli meats per day increases a person’s risk of developing colorectal cancer by 18 percent.
Source - Google.

processed or cured meats contain nitrates & nitrites, these metabolize to nitrosamines which are known carcinogens. No mention of fresh meat ?

The world health organisation is a deeply corrupt organisation not worth a sh1t.

meat and processed meat is not at all the same. I don’t see anyone saying chicken or fish causes cancer. Red meat does need to be moderated, but my understanding is that the meat thing is all about the processing.

smoking, preserving etc. The other thing to consider is the lifestyle aspect. i.e

we took a sample of fat bloaters who don’t exercise and found they all ate hamburgers and some got cancer.

our sample of vegans didn’t get cancer because they died of malnutrition

Last edited:
If you don't get cancer from processed meats, you'll get it from barbecuing, or you'll get prostate cancer, and both sexes are at risk from Breast cancer. The real problem, is that you don't get killed off from the early lifestyle cancers, then you'll get killed of later from the old age cancers.

As I always say, life the biggest terminal disease going.

I wonder if there will be class action lawsuits against Preto and gauchos in the future :)

Key fact is ''processed meat'' lots of dodgy chemical involved. Lean red meat in moderation is fine.

I'm a veggie and have been for about 20 years, don't forget that the cows have growth hormones which I think is some sort of penicillin which ends up on your dinner plate. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Last year on the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation was a documentary about vegans, they live longer and enjoy a healthier lifestyle.

Sponsored Links
Back