Candle shaped bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told that candle shaped bulbs tend to not last as long as normall shaped, is this true? :rolleyes:

Just had a look at some wall lights that have candle shaped tungsten filament bulbs that keep popping. I've checked fitting and everything seems to be in order, any suggestions what it could be? They reckon bulbs only last a few weeks at most

Sponsored Links
Do they have a glass shade that can trap the heat? What is the measured supply voltage?

Are they made by a reputable company i.e. Osram or are they cheap and nasty?

Sponsored Links
No doubt about it candle bulbs do not last as long as a conventional shape bulb. I think it must be to do with the internal volume/heat generated. Educated guess, not scientific.

ricicle said:
They're called lamps not **** bulbs :mad: ......................................... :LOL: ;)

Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe incandescent light bulb or incandescent lamp is a source of artificial light ... Incandescent light bulbs consist of a glass enclosure (the "envelope, ...

Bulbs grow, Lamps glow..Mmmm quite funny for me. :LOL:

Now here is a contradiction...

"A lamp, in technical usage, is a replaceable component such as an incandescent light bulb, which is designed to produce light from electricity"

So should we call it ...

"incandescent light bulb" :idea:

Scenario...

Man goes into B&Q and asks the assistant
"do you have any bulbs?"
to which the assistant replies..
"you mean for planting in the garden"
"no, I mean for my house"
"Oh! you mean a lamp"
"no, that is what miners use, I mean a light bulb"
"no sir we don't have any of them, only lamps"
"is that a light lamp"
"no sir, now you are being silly - I think you mean luminaire"

Seriously though, I do call them all lamps only cos it sounds more posh on paper. But anything that constitutes a GLS or similar is really still a light bulb, anything else is a lamp.

I don't know if this is fact or not but I was told by a lighting rep that all filament lamps are designed to work with the filament hanging down from the lamp holder.

Most candle lamps are used in wall lights which means the filament is hanging towards the lamp holder so this might explain why they don't last as long?

IMO the worst lamps ever are tungsten strip lights :evil:

We were taught at college that GLS lamps are designed for use with the lampholder at the top like in a flexdrop.

Maybe so that when the heat rises is mainly heats up the end cap and not the end of the glass....not convinced though - Just a theory.

I call "bulbs" lamps, and when I tell my customers they need to replace all their lamps with good quality ones, they are completely offended!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back