Candy CDI 1012 Dishwasher vibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have a new problem with my 2 year-old dishwasher :cry:

All has been fine until today, when in the middle of a wash I heard a loud vibration in the middle of the cycle. This now seems to be there for good. The noise sounds like a pulsing 'bashing' of water against the inside of the front door and is almost like the noise a tap makes when there is an airlock in the pipe, but I suspect this is just resonating from the actual source, wherever that is.

Some diagnostics, done on a cold rinse cycle:

1. Took out all trays and rotating arms.
2. Checked and cleaned filters.
3. Washer starts and sound of filling can be heard
4. Washer clicks into next phase and vibration begins and continues throughout.
5. Washer clicks into drainage cycle and drains without problem.
6. Cycle finishes, apparently all okay (except for the vibration).

Now, I don't know how these things actually work, under the skin. I presume it fills some vessel within itself at first (to allow heating for hot programs), and that pump seems to be okay. I also assume that there's another pump that pumps the water out at the end, and that too seems to be okay. But what happens in the middle? Is there a 3rd pump that cycles the water around during the wash? I'm guessing that there is, and that the impeller on it has become imbalanced - maybe a blade has broken off or something.

Any suggestions as to what could be going on and what I might be able to do about it would be most welcome. Even a pointer to a service manual that shows all the components would help...

Sponsored Links
It could be any one of several things; A busted wash pump/impellor, a piece of glass etc rattling around in there, a split spray arm (which I presume you have already checked for), "water hammer", defective inlet valve, blocked matrix, etc. Best thing you can do is run it with the side-plates & door front off to see if you can identify exactly where the noise comes from. There are not 3 pumps on this machine. It has a drain pump & circulation motor, water fill is controlled by a solenoid valve. Unfortunately you won't get a service manual, they are trade only :(

Thanks for the reply zipper.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing amiss in the inside of the machine as visible to the user - no splits, nothing loose or rattling around and no debris in there. With the trays out and the bottom rotor removed, there'd no moving parts in there either.

So... any idea where the "circulation motor" might be housed? Seems pretty likely that that will be where I find the problem...

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Circulation motor is in the base at the rear LH side. At a minimum you need to remove the lid, LH sideplate, & baseplate (if there is one) to get at it. If it were me I would remove all the panels then run it to try & track down the source of the noise before performing any major surgery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back