Cannot delete anything...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been backing up all my photo's etc to disk tonight but when I go to delete the items to the recycle bin I get this message "The directory or file cannot be created" and therefore cannot delete the items to clear up some disk space (much needed)

Any ideas whats gone wrong and how to fix.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yep, just tried it and it happens with all files.

Sponsored Links
The hard disk has 10gb spare at the moment, when I double click on the recycle bin or open or explore, I get an image of a small torch going back and forth although it is trying to search for the bin contents but never actually finds anything. If that makes sense!!

Which operating system?

If XP, it could be due to corrupt files in the recycle bin. Open windows explorer and select tools and then folder options. Select the view tab and check the box marked show hiddn files and folders. Uncheck the button that says hide protected operating system files.

Now explore the C drive and you will see a folder called recycler. Delete everything in this folder. Restart the PC and try again.

It is XP I am running, tried as you have said above but I have no recycler folder to be found, for curiosity sakes i tried on the laptop and found the recycler folder, so I seem to have lost it on the desktop somehow!!

I have done nothing unusual on the desktop, can't think why it should dissapear. :evil:

Your help is much appriciated.

Are you looking in the right place? The folder is actually stored in the root of the drive you are deleting from. So if deleting from C, it will be called C:\RECYCLER.

It is possible for it not to exist, but windows should re-create it automatically. Have another look and if you find it, rename it to RECYCLER1. Then reboot the machine and try the deletes again. Don't try and delete RECYCLER from within windows because it will effectively try to eat itself.

i found this to be an interesting post, so i searched for RECYCLER, my desktop doesn't have it either (win xp pro) I copied / pasted it as you have typed it, but removed the c:/ no joy

Tried again definately not there. I have a recycled but when I go to explore that I get the same little torch searching but not finding anything.

Should have mentiond XP home edition.

Just to go off on a tangent a little when I am exploring "C" I have a lot of folders starting at Found.000 to Found.074 and there all empty. What are they.

breezer said:
i found this to be an interesting post, so i searched for RECYCLER, my desktop doesn't have it either (win xp pro) I copied / pasted it as you have typed it, but removed the c:/ no joy

Did you do both steps in my previous post to unhide the folder?

:oops: , does help if i read all of post and follow instructions. i was only curious to see if i have this older, i will check now

ali68 said:
Tried again definately not there. I have a recycled but when I go to explore that I get the same little torch searching but not finding anything.

Should have mentiond XP home edition.

Just to go off on a tangent a little when I am exploring "C" I have a lot of folders starting at Found.000 to Found.074 and there all empty. What are they.

Yes, on Pro, it's called recycler, and one of the guys here has said it's recycled on home. There's a bit here about half way down, which does a similar thing, but using a command window. See if it helps. You could also rename the recycled folder.

done the above, went to explorer, made all files and folderer not invisible, (it then asked would i like this to be the case with all files etc, so i opted for yes, searched again and still cant find recycler.

not that it matters i was only curious

Sponsored Links
Back